1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3d Printer Noob and Need some help .. D:

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JE Studios, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

So I have been that person trying to figure this out on my own and I think I am about there or maybe way off not to sure but looks like I am getting some stringing and what I believe is called delamination going on I have attached 2 of the prints I attempted today from a small print to a semi larger one. I have no problems with it sticking to the bed at all after all the threads I read. I am also using Blue PLA from Robo3d.

Software: Matter
    Engine: Cura

Settings from the software direct:

Layer Height: 0.4
    Perimeter: 7

Skirt

Loops: 3
    Minimum Length: 4mm

Temps:

Extruder-
    Staring: 195
    Other Layers : 200

Bed -
    Starting: 65
    Other: 62

20140410_190235[1].jpg 20140410_211144[1].jpg

Any help would be appreciated , so I don't rip out my hair xD

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have a brass or stainless extruder? Is it oozing from the side? Looks like serious under extrusion.

3. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

I have the one the comes with the printer, now when you say oozing from the side you mean when it extrudes it goes to the side? and to your last point I was thinking that but as being a noob wasn't sure. When the printer first came the hot end was dead wasn't heating up they sent me a new one.

4. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

The R1s have gone through multiple hotend designs, can you post a picture of yours? Mike is asking if there is filament coming out of anywhere except for the nozzle it is supposed to.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

5. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

No its only coming out from the extruder on the tip I have attached a pic of the extruder.

edit...seems the forum didn't upload the image...

6. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Hmmm it hates IE lol...

Attached Files:

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Who doesn't?

Ok that's the new style hot end. Chances are your hobbed bolt is skipping. How is your filament being fed in?

8. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

The default spool holder into the extruder on the stock hobbed bolt.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you notice or hear any skipping? How much "filament dust" collects around your hobbed bolt? Cleaned the gunk off lately?

10. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

I have actually done that I actually removed the filament and brushed out the dust there wasn't a lot for sure not that I would know what a its working right amount would be. However I haven't noticed from what I could see skipping not to say it might not have happened and not sure how I would notice but from what I could tell everything sounded correct.

11. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

I noticed the thread on hobbed bolts but wasn't sure if i needed to replace it but I have tried to remove the filament and then cleaning out the hobbed bolt area and then re-tightening it with the filament up against the bold.

12. scotta

scotta Active Member

If you are getting under extruding, then check a couple of things with the setup.
    1. Check that the filament setting is at 1.75 mm diam not 3mm (this caught me once)
    2. You can do a feed test. Mark the filament and get it to manually feed say 20mm and measure the feed.
    3. I'd also try repetier host or cura and see if you get the same result. Cura is probably the simpler one to start with.
    4. If you have other filament try that and see if you get the same result.

2 people like this.
  13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

All good ideas try this as well
    they are gcode files from my using my settings if they turn out OK then it is a settings issue on your printer if they turn out the same then it is a printer issue we need to track down.

Attached Files:

14. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Thanks to all , and tesseract I will try that when I get home from work today to see , here's hoping its a setting issue xD . Will also test feed after I try tesseracts settings.

* The filament is set to 1.75
    * When you say cura the software that is listed for Ulti-maker?

15. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Also one last question since I have installed the matter software I will be able to use the gcode there? or do I need to go back to repitier ?

16. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

MC can handle .STLs or Gcode, you will get an annoying popup the first time you print from preprepared Gcode but that's about it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

17. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

ok thanks alot .. will try it when I get home and report back thanks for all the help so far to everyone I may not lose hope after all xD

18. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Ok so I used your GCode Tesseract and here is what came out I put in the pic a previous test cube print that came with matter. So starting to look more and more like a setting issue... -_-

Attached Files:

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it looks like the filament may be a little warm but the step looked pretty good I know I ran my on the warm side and it may have been to warm for your material probably should try it at the 190 -195 level and see if you post what the gcode looks like we can telly you what the temp was I do agree I think there are other settings that may not be setup correctly.

One of the down sides of some software like MatterControl and Cura to some extent is that the both utilize settings that someone has determined is right for your printer and this simply may not be the case. When I got my robo over 9 months ago I had access to Repetier and Slic3r and I admit I was overwhelmed a bit by all the options that were adjustable and that is why it took me a while to get things setup and printing as well as I do.

This allowed me to fine tune the settings I was using with the printer in the status that it was in minus all the adjustments and mods I have made and in this time I have also adjusted some of the settings I used to print with as the printer developed and became fine tuned.

By the time I got to CURA I found that almost half of the settings I had available to me were now done behind the scenes and out of my ability to adjust. Luckily my printer had be calibrated and improved enough that it actually end up doing a pretty good job.

MC was not as exciting to use it did tried the same prints with it but the setting it forced me to use did not seem to yield the same quality of prints.

Since the I have not made many changes but to my system to fine tune things and I believe MC is still using the same techniques in the attempt to gain quality I am just not see it succeed as well as Cura or Reptier and Slic3r.

The benefit of using Repetier and slicer is that it can literally be adjusted to how your printer is actually performing and than as adjustments are made to the printer adjustment can also be made to Repetier /Slic3r and you get to learn about what these different settings do and what happens when you adjust them.

I am just not sure the MC has all the right things tweaked the right way for every printer. I hear a lot more about problems with MC and the elimination of the issue when people have moved back to Repetier/Slic3r, than I do about MC being successful right away.

I can help but I do not use MC yet and still believe it has a long way to go Cura and Repetier/Slic3r both have issues that sometimes make me choose one over the other but they are both about equal in my opinion.

So if you want to talk Repetier and Slic3r settings let me know and maybe we can get some of that adjusted to be a bit better quality.

20. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Hey the way I look at this situation is what ever is going to make my printer work the best and if that is repi/slicr. I before using matter decided to switch the engine back to slicer based on the titles of your files. I still have rep installed on the same computer so I am down to do what I need to get the best prints. :D

I believe the extruder was set to : 195 and others 200 and bed to 65 on these prints unless your g-code over wrote it.

So in short I am down to use rep if that will help me out in your opinion since you clearly have great results with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.