1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved A new problem with my 3D R1 (please help)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Okay, here's what's up. Today I finally installed my dual fan setup for my 3D R1 equipped with an E3d V6 that up until today has been working flawlessly. I haven't changed anything besides going from the stock, single cooling fan to a dual setup that I printed the mount from thingiverse. Nothing else has changed but here's what happens.

The cooling fans don't turn on when I start a print job. Then, about four or five minutes in to the print, the fans kick on but then the hotend loses power and the hotend temp goes down. Then of course the print job stops. I then have to restart Mattercontrol and start all over. This seems to happen at the same exact time on my test print. It has me thinking it must be some sort of software issue and not hardware. Otherwise I would think it would happen randomly.

Doing some further testing, the hotness seems to shut off only when the fans turn on. I'm wondering if the power supply doesn't have enough power for a dual fan setup?

What the heck could I have done wrong when all I changed was going from single to a dual fan setup?

#1 Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

So after screwing around with this thing for over two hours now here's what I've learned.

Apparently Mattercontrol doesn't turn the print cooling fan on for roughly the first 5 minutes of a print job. Then it turns the fan on. Weird part is that when the dual fans turned on, the hotend temperature would go down all the way. Once it hit about 190, that's when it stops printing the job. The only way I can get it to start again is if I cancel the current print job, close MC and reopen the program. Then it does the same exact thing every time.

I then decided to try just a single fan (the factory cooling one) to see if I'd have the same issue. Just like before, the fan wouldn't turn on until it was in the print job for roughly 5 minutes. Then, the print job fan would turn on and the hotend temperature would go down to around 198. But then it would go right back up to 210 and the print job didn't stop. This has me wondering if the printer's power can't handle an extra fan because of the increase in power consumption? I wouldn't think so because those little 40mm fans can't draw hardly any power, do they?

Nonetheless, everything works fine with just the single fan. I'm wondering if I need to go in to MC and turn the printing fan on manually instead of allowing MC to do that? Is this normal?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The parts fans are off for the first layer (at least, maybe other lower layers -- check your slicer settings)
    Once they come on you want them pointed at the printed model (not the hotend nozzle).
    If they are blowing on the nozzle too much then it can drop temperature (which can result in a TEMP_FALL error.

4. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

^ Apparently you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I did some experimenting with only one fan and everything works like normal. I'm gonna print a different pair of 40mm fan mounts and see what happens. They funnel the air towards the very tip of the print nozzle. Maybe that would work with using dual fans but not affecting the hotend's temperature?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you use the funnels that aim the air more directly at the plastic (and not the extruder) you are probably cool with two fans.
    The issue is if you are cooling the nozzle and/or the heater block... that makes it more difficult for the heater to maintain temp.
    I have one of the adjustable fan ducts that aims right at the printed part... no way to miss and cool the extruder.

6. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Did u print it from your printer? If so, can u share the STL file or the thingiverse link?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Here's the end result of what my 3D R1 turned out. This has been a couple week ordeal simply because I don't have a lot of spare time. I wanted my printer to be a little different from stock. So I installed the E3D V6 along with several trial and error prints and whatnot. So now it's done and it's printing great.

Next on the list is to print with some Ninjaflex.

image.jpg

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Read up on the threads with NinjaFlex. It is tricky, but usable. I had better luck with it on smaller items...