1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A tip for storing filament (and pellets)

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Seshan, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

For those of you that don't know plastic filament absorbs water/moisture in the air , some plastics more then others, This isn't good for printing as it will cause your filament to pop and create bubbles and other ugliness in your prints. You will want to store it in a low humidity environment. One way to do that is to store it in a container with a desiccant, Those have limited use, and can be toxic. The other option, and what I will probably end up doing is getting a dehumidifying rod a small one is good up to 100sq feet http://amzn.com/B004QUDTZI get that stick it in a good seal-able tub, add maybe a hygrometer to check your humidity level, and you'll be set.

2 people like this.
  2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

This will be very true for those of us who want to be printing in a multitude of types and colors in other words the NOOBIES. For those of you who have overcome the novelty of 3dprinting already, you probably keep it all sealed up until you use it and then you probably use one at a time, the way we all will learn to do. Thanks for the warning and I am sure many of us will probably lose significant amounts of filament because of this but oh well I guess that will be part of the learning curve.

LOL

Good luck to us NOOBIES

at least a lot of us seem to be getting extruders so the cost will be less because we will be using pellets but .....

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

You can also bake your filament in the oven at a low temp to get rid of any moister, keeping it in a container with the dehumidify will eventually remove all the moister from the filament, but if you need it fast, the oven will be the best choice.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

neat tip thanks. this stuff needs to go into the tips n tricks forum topic as well

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i used my dryer today, to dry my nylon filament.. haha

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so was that on the HIGH heat or the air dry only mode LOL

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

actually medium heat for 2hrs

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh actual instructions say I have a nuwave convection oven any idea on the time there LOL

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Jeff, just try baking little pieces in 1 hr increments until you're happy with the results. FYI, the pellets will also need to be stored dry or dried before use. Every commercial extrusion process I've seen has involved some kind of a drying process.

Also, a warning on the bake out. Be careful with PLA, it sags and deforms at a much lower temperature than you extrude it at. Not that I've ruined a whole spool or anything...

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

something tells me you HAVE learned from experience LOL

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

http://www.natureworksllc.com/~/med...Sheets/TechnicalDataSheet_4043D_films_pdf.pdf

They recommend 4 hrs at 80C for pellets. I'll fess up and say that I tried a spool of natural 3mm PLA for 2 hrs at 200F (93C) in my small convection oven and found it pretty well ovalized and stuck together. Not melted but pretty messed up. I've never actually checked the temperature in my oven, so its also possible cal was just way off.

That same profile did work really well for ABS though.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that is a unique way to describe it LOL sorry shouldn't laugh the way I like to experiment who knows what I'll be seeing

13. James

James Member

Hmmm How about using rice instead of a chemical desiccant?

14. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Well, rice does absorb water, but I'm not sure how well it will work compared to the electronic dehumidifier or chemical desiccants. It's also messier, and could leave a residue on your filament (depending on how you use it).

15. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Humidity is going to be tough on my filament here in Florida. I'm going to have to come up with a good system for storing my filament. I do have one of those food saver vacuum sealers. I guess I'm finally going to use it.

Does anyone know which plastic filament types absorbs the most moisture and which the least?

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the way I understand it is this
    Most
    Poly carbonate
    Nylon
    Abs
    PLA
    Least

17. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

slight correction i think abs should be last on the list

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I wasn't sure but I am glad to know that I was planning on focusing on ABS and was concerned about moisture. Glad to learn it is not as big an issue as I thought

19. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

I noticed this storage system for filament on Thingaverse while wandering. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:62826 I suspect this tied with the original poster's idea may be a way to still have a usable filament while still being mostly protected from moisture.

20. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Thanks Jeff. This helps.