1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A tip for storing filament (and pellets)

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Seshan, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Actually the other interesting question is to broaden the "which plastic filament types absorbs the most moisture and which the least?" to be "which filament types" in general. So that would include the wood and other specialty products.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

My list corrected with the PLA and ABS switch was only based on thing I have read or heard There are a lot of materials I would say laywood would probably be the next most common but I have no knowledge about this and moisture.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

This is a pretty good concept. Great post Ben.

4. bluemax

bluemax New Member

Thanks guys for this informative thread! Reading it illustrates quite well the diverse problems encountered with hygroscopic filament, the different hygroscopic properties of various filament types and also offers solutions for dry filament storage.
    My problem is that all of the proposed solutions I found on the Net did not really appeal to me. Either too bulky, too expensive or too complicated to realise. But I found a solution which serves my needs quite well: vacuum bags, together with a desiccant (with moisture level indicator). If you are interested, I invite you to read the short article I wrote about it: http://3dprintingforbeginners.com/how-to-store-3d-printing-filament/
    Hope you like it. I would love to hear your comments about it.