1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved ABS and masking tape

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by laxmidi63, Jun 5, 2017.

1. laxmidi63

laxmidi63 New Member

I've had a roll of green ABS for awhile and can't seem to get it to print without peeling off the build plate. I got some normal blue masking tape to use as well (just because I don't want to buy a roll of kapton) and still can't get it to work. Can you still use regular masking tape for ABS and if you can, what temperature should I set my bed to?

2. laxmidi63

laxmidi63 New Member

Also I have played with bed temp, glue sticks, different hold hairspray, extruder temp, and orientation of print.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As hot as you can.

Seriously. And consider a partial enclosure. ABS is extremely temperature change sensitive. This is why is wants to be used inside of a heated chamber. Can you do it without one? Sure, with a lot of patience and testing. A lot of this depends on the size/shape of the models too (we did some rather large ABS models and ONLY printed ABS the first year we owned our Robo).

Now we never print it. Why? Because there are superior materials that do not require the headaches.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This is what we use on our machines that run ABS (the robos are not them). I'd suggest donating that spool to a local makerspace or school and getting something else to work with. You'll be in much frustration with warping and cracking issues (my opinion)