1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS Glue/Slurry ratio

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Mike Dioguardo, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Mike Dioguardo

Mike Dioguardo New Member

I have been using the Acetone + scrap ABS method for over a month now and have had almost no warping at all. But for some reason this past week I'm having trouble with the glue's adhesion. Before my glue use to be tough to scrape off even with a razor blade, but now its not sticking to the bed at all. (I can rub it with just my finger and it peels right off. )

I made a new batch of glue last night and one today and both still don't want to stick to the bed well. I will put a layer down, it will appear clear at first, then after a few minutes will turn completely flat white were it is easy to peel off. I am either using too much plastic or too much acetone. What is a good mixing ratio to use to get it to stick?

(PS I was using the same batch for over a month stored in a airtight paint container, either adding more plastic or acetone each day to maintain it)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to use the ABS slurry but it was a pain to get an even film and if the color was not right it discolored the parts.

I now use Elmer's extra strength glue stick (which seems to be available in most countries) on a separate piece of heat resistant (ie tempered) glass sitting on top of the Robo glass.

Normally I put some streaks of glue stick on the glass in the area I know the print will be (cover about 25-30%) . Then use a light brush dipped in water to spread the glue in a thin film over the entire area where the print will be.

Run the bed at 115c throughout the print and the ABS sticks hard with no warping at all. No need for brims even on small parts. You can also run some cooling up to about 30% fan speed if that is needed for some parts.

At the end of the print when the bed cools down to about 50C, the print just pops off every time.

This is not something I've invented, the technique is popular on a number of forums.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you applying the slurry hot or cold? I typically apply it over 70C so the acetone vaporizes quickly

For discoloring I just throw it over some acetone vapor and it revives the color.