1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved ABS plastic "squishes"/sets

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bioclasm, May 19, 2015.

1. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Hello,

I'm proud to say that I've never had a problem with warping. However, my prints are always squished down a little, from what I'm assuming is the hot plastic setting a little. I just got some PLA, so I'll be doing a print with that to see if has the same effect.

But the students are printing off Pokeballs they designed in CAD, and they are not spherical because of the squished-ness. Is there a way to prevent this? Is anyone else even having this problem? I haven't found anything online of other people having the same problem.

Thanks

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Pics please? That will give us a better idea of the issue.

3. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

4. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Lol... for some reason it doesn't show up well in these pics, but it's squished just enough to be quite noticeable when you're holding it.

It's very noticeable with a die, though. Of which I don't have any here to photograph. It's not a cube, it's quite plainly a squished rectangle.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Z steps/mm? Are those correct?

6. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

What should the z steps/mm be? I'll look up what mine is set to when I can get back to the printer.

7. Droid

Droid Member

your Z steps depend on what threaded rods you have, have you printed a calibration cube and measured it? It does sound as if your Z steps are wrong, if that's the case your going to have to flash your arduino firmware with the right firmware. if you have the 8mm threaded rods your z steps/mm should be 2560.00. If your z steps/mm are 2267.72 and you have the 8mm rods, your prints will come out squished because its flashed for 5/16" rods. Chances are if you recently got this printer your experiencing the same issue I had, I had the 8mm rods but my arduino firmware was flashed for the 5/16"rods and my prints were coming out almost 5mm short per 25mm, I would print a 25mm calibration cube and the z axis on the print would measure roughly 20mm.

#7 Droid, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Where would I find the files I need to re-flash it, and how would I re-flash it? I'll print a calibration cube and measure it to check if it's necessary first. But just in case, and for the reference of those who find this post in the future.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Thank you, kindly.

11. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Alright, it's been a while but I'm now able to sit down and flash the arduino.

I've downloaded the Arduino software, made a Sketchbook directory where it's supposed to be, and opened the Arduino software, and selected the Mega 2560. However, when I plug in my printer's USB, it now gives me an error that the drivers aren't installed correctly, and I can no longer communicate with the printer. I was on the step to selecting the Port the printer uses, but no port options are listed since it's not communicating with the printer anymore.

12. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

/panicmode>

I got it working an installed, I just have to print something. I'll set a print and come back tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

Printed Solid and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Okay, I have some good and bad news.

I now can print cubes, instead of squished rectangular prisms, however the print quality has taken a complete dive without me changing other settings.

The die on the left was printed originally, and the die on the right was printed after I re-flashed. The weird damaged look occurs on all sides, and both were printed on low quality. die compa.jpg

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is the size correct on the left, the right or both?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also try a different filament

17. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

The size of the left is the original size, but I scaled the other one down to 80% to save some time. I've printed .5 scales as well in the past, and didn't have this kind of look to it.

I'll try a different filament tomorrow.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mike is correct you should try another spool. It can/will absorb moisture from the air.
    It has been my experience that this extra moisture does not mess up the print structurally, but does make it cosmetically worse.
    In a small enough model it make affect the structure as well.

The best approach to keeping your filament consistent is to keep it as 'dry' as possible (store it with desiccant).
    That said I print mine 'wet' all the time and just clean it up afterwards, but I am seldom doing micro-prints any more and the finish of the print is less important. Also, full disclosure, while I have printed a lot of ABS in the past I have not printed ABS in over a year now. The newer filament types have made my need to use it go away (and ABS does need a lot more 'fiddling' to get it right).

19. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

So I switched to a different spool. It was a PLA spool, not even out of the vaccuum package, and I had the same exact results. Very poor quality, especially around any hole/opening, regardless of it's position on the design.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Picture? Dimensions of actual vs expected?