1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Abs print very weak

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robb, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

So i just started printing in ABS and it seems weaker then my PLA prints. I'm using IC3D ABS and printing at 230.

The print bonds well to the bed using ABS slurry and looks nice. However it breaks apart when i try and bend it. Is this just bad ABS or something else.

Also anyone ever used the carbon fiber tape to strengthen a print? If so where did you get it?

Im trying to build a gopro mount for my boat and I need it to be heat resistant and very strong. I have broke one ABS and one PLA version already.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you're getting consistent flow rate and still getting separation I recommend vapor polishing ABS prints.

It will increase layer bond strength by chemically forming them together. You'll get a little more softness on the exterior but more resiliant prints.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Ill try the vapor polish. Any thoughts on the carbon reinforced?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I mean sure that would work. time consuming and expensive though.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

ABS is a stronger material in most aspects, but it can be harder to print correctly. Not having a heated chamber complicates things on the Robo.

Really for strength I have found PET and Nylon Bridge to be some of the best. The CF filament is really strong, but also more costly. (For all of these other than ABS you will need an upgraded hot end, but they do not all need a heated bed).

6. Robb

Robb Member

I ordered some nylon bridge. Ill try that. I have the E3D v6 hot end so im good to go there.

On a side note - Still have ninjaflex I need to print with. I cant find a tube to use between my hobbled bolt and the extruder. Still looking.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worst case I can mail you some :) I have a fair amount of this old plastic tube (a few feet).
    I can spare you a couple of inches.

9. Robb

Robb Member

Mark Ill send you $2 or $3 paypal if you send me some. Just tell me what email to send it to.

I can't get it to extrude at all. Just bunches up between the top of the hot end and hobbled bolt.

Once i get it to extrude i will set it up using those setting in Simplify3D

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PM me your mail address and I will send some your way.
    (for what it is worth I had to use the plastic tube myself to get it to extrude. His settings help, but without the tube I had no extrusion happening. I was not using the stock hobb though which may make a difference).

11. Robb

Robb Member

SENT... thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.