1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered ABS Printing problems and the Z axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Clint Burbridge, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Clint Burbridge

Clint Burbridge New Member

Hi, I hope you guys can help me! I am printing on a newly replaced R1 and having increasing problems with printing. I’ll address the most important issue first.

From the day that I first fired up my replacement printer, it squealed when moving along the x-axis. I’ve had some good prints but starting having more and more problems. I printed one piece three times and each time it was short along the x-axis. I checked my 123D file several times and could not figure out the problem. Well now, I've had several failed prints and the x-axis does not work at all, when I’m prompting it in Matter Control.

I've attached an image of my last attempt at printing. You can see where the hot-end is dragging through the print, because the printer can not raise it to the next layer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like a bad linear bearing on the X axis. Lubricate them with lithium grease or fine machine oil (but that should not be needed so contact Robo about it). X axis is right to left across the printed bed, Z is up/down. I would start with a test cube (to check the X axis) and insure your Z steps/MM is correct.

3. Clint Burbridge

Thanks Mark, yes I'm a total noob. I mean the Z axis - up/down. Any suggestions for that?

4. Clint Burbridge

Thanks Mark. Which would you recommend, for lubricating the threaded Z rods - White Lithium Grease or White Lightning (Bicycle Chain Lube)? I'm going to give it another shot today. I'll let you know.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I use lithium grease, but I am not certain that there is a huge gain in one over the other.

6. Clint Burbridge

Mark - I bought the lithium grease. Should I use it on the x rods also. And while I'm at it, does anything else need that lube?

7. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You can use the lithium on all sliding surfaces on the machine. Threaded Z, smooth Z, X-axis, and y-axis.

Then go apply some to the squeaky car door.

8. Clint Burbridge

Thanks guys - I greased the z threaded and smooth rods and the x smooth rails and it's not squealing and binding as before. While I'm in maintenance mode, I hope you guys can help me with a few more issues. I'm attaching two photo. The first is an early print. The surfaces are good and the corners are crisp. The second is a very recent print. The surface looks horrible. My problem with the binding threaded rods may have contributed to this. Should I try and dip my filament in vegetable oil and run it through the hot end a few times? I read here that it helps with print quality. What's your opinion?

Attached Files:

9. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

If you are using PLA it is highly recommended that you add an oiler. There is a sticky tab dedicated to this.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, as @Stephen Capistron said add an oiler or do the seasoning (which is what you were referring to). Just bear in mind that seasoning does need to be refreshed periodically.

11. Clint Burbridge

Thanks guys. I'm printing with ABS. Mark, is seasoning a good idea based on the pics that I uploaded? You can see my deteriorating print quality.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

His thread title says ABS so I assume he's still using that.

Looks a bit like over extrusion. Calibrate you E steps per mm:

13. Clint Burbridge

Thanks Mike. I'll check out the video.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is ABS, then seasoning is not likely to be a huge help.
    However I have yet to find a situation that it hurts.

Mike is spot on here, this looks more like over extrusion than clogging.

15. Clint Burbridge

So Mark, should I season or not - oiler or not - knowing that I'm only interested in printing ABS.

Also, Mike. Might I be having that problems if the z axis is not advancing properly, yet the extrude rate remains the same?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Print a calibration cube and measure the height. If you lubricated your Z threaded rods it shouldn't be an issue

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wouldn't bother if you are going to stick with ABS. Just bear in mind that if you do switch this may become an issue.

18. Clint Burbridge

Mike, I printed a 25x25x25 test cube and it still looks pretty rough to me. My actual measurements are z=22.72 and x/y=24.68/24.73 (don't know which dimension is x and which is y, because I measured it after I removed it from the bed. Do I need more adjustment to the z-axis? The video you posted about calibrating the extrude rate looked pretty complicated. What would you suggest? BTW, I lubed the threaded and smooth z rods, at least they sound better.

Attached Files:

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Definitely do the extruder calibration. It's not too complicated and you'll be able to figure it out

Whats your Z steps per mm? a 10% error is usually a symptom they're set to 2267.72 instead of 2560.