1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Adding printer profiles to Cura

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Huggins, Aug 30, 2015.

1. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

I have heard a lot of positive things about Cura vs Matter Control. I downloaded a copy of Cura 15.06 and installed it. All the printer options are for the Ultimaker. How do one go about adding the Robo 3D to Cura?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

Yes, that is why my question. There is no option for "Other" in the printer file.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Download 15.04, that is what that thread is based on. Just because Cura released 15.06 doesn't mean its better, they are refactoring the code and it is not complete.

5. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

I will give it a shot. Thanks.

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

New CURA does not have this option. You have to edit the config file manually and enter all the parameters.
    That CURA version (15 i believe) is ONLY for ultimaker 2
    Use CURA Version: 14.12 Its latest of its class. V15 was completely different and has no options to change printer parameters as of today.
    And V15 makes me kinda sick.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This is not entirely correct. Cura up to and including 15.04 works with other printers besides Ultimaker. As a matter of fact 15.04 is very robust and works well with the Robo. Ultimaker (who is now paying a salary to the Cura creator) is doing a complete refactoring of the software code. Unfortunately they labeled it 15.06, implying that it is somehow newer/better than 15.04. The refactoring and using new libraries has placed 15.06 in a spot where, feature wise, it lags behind 15.04. Ultimaker has also made it less obvious that you can still download 15.04 and that you will need it if you want "Other" printer support. You can't just hit the big DOWNLOAD button.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

It is entirely correct.
    Cura_15.06.03 does not have any way to add custom machine. It only comes with presets that are all ultimaker specs.
    One way is to mess with file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.03\resources\settings
    or what ever version of OS architecture you have.
    Each file corresponds to preset name.
    "machine_settings": {
    "machine_width": { "default": 205 },
    "machine_height": { "default": 200 },
    "machine_depth": { "default": 205 },
    u get the idea.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Again, this is not entirely correct. First you didn't read my post. I spoke of 15.04 which is still available and recommended by Ultimaker for those that want support for other printers. Then you obviously didn't read the thread by @Marquis Johnson that has files that actually add the RoboR1 to 15.06. Now if you are only talking about wanting to add a custom printer from the 15.06 wizard then you are right, there is no facility to add "Other". But just because something isn't obvious doesn't mean the same thing as impossible.

Look, I am not trying to argue with you, but just make sure that information is correct and complete. If you want to talk about this in greater depth I would suggest we take it to private messages rather than clutter up this thread.

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Thumbs up to you sir.
    I stay by my statement.
    No GUI for adding custom machine to me means no way (for most users)

Matter control is using CURA engine right ?
    So what good does it do to compare it to CURA anyway ?
    Its like Repetier Host, It just uses slicers giving you controls, but not anything on its own.

I can (if i really wanted) could create my own slicer control application, but i would be limited to the slicer of my choice, dont you agree ?