1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Adhesion to the Bed + Gaps in First Layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Leishman, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leishman

Leishman New Member

Hello!

Brand new to this community and I'm loving my new printer. My wife has already banished it to the garage after continually running it for a week.

Adhesion to the bed with ABS~! I have this issue with long skinny parts mostly. Any settings I am missing? I tried raft, no raft, hairspray (which is working the best), ABS soup (which is a pain) I even tried convincing myself it didn't matter. Its my understanding this warp is caused by a temperature differential from base to printing layer so I've been able to improve the warp by reducing material (Infil Ratio, Perimeter Layers) but I wanted to reach out and pull from the experience on this forum. Any suggestions?

Gaps in the First Layer! Is there a way to smooth out the first layer? It almost looks better picking off the first layer and going to the second! Any tips will be helpful.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How long are we talking here? Very long flat prints are the bane of ABS. If you can design in some cuts to reduce surface tension for ABS prints it can help reduce warp. The bed heater is only 8.2"x8.2" so it's important to not print outside of this for ABS.

Gaps in the first layer are usually a symptom of being too high, though it may also be under extrusion. It's hard to know for sure without pictures.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Leishman

Leishman New Member

Here are the gaps on the first layer...

Attached Files:

5. Leishman

Leishman New Member

Here is the warp.

Attached Files:

6. Leishman

Leishman New Member

I've seen this product. I'll check it out.

Also, does the pattern in which you extrude have any impact? Or does the Slicer Engine have any impact?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As far as sticking/adhering to the bed? Not so much in my opinion. That is more often the materials (ABS + gluestick, hairspray, etc) or the initial Z offset incorrect.

About the only thing you can tweak in the slicer is how hot, how fast... those will potentially impact ABS more.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's some pretty serious warp. Does the bottom absolutely need to be flat?

I watched this forever ago and it seems like sound advice:

9. Leishman

Leishman New Member

Awesome. I like this solution - this allows me to design around the problem. Thanks Mike!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.