1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Air Print Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Red Submarine, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

So I've been trying to print a dang model for like 5 hours today with no luck. Basically, it prints perfectly and then just stops extruding. The hobbed bolt ends up grinding through the filament like it's jammed.

My head isn't clogged, I checked each time.
    I've used the stock hotend and the hexagon hot end.
    I've used two different ABS spools.
    I've tried printing at 220, 225, and 230 with each set up.
    I can print calibration pyramids no problem.

I thought I had it all figured out at 220 with the hexagon hot end and 100 infill but an hour and a half in it failed again. It's like I can only print for a small amount of time before it has problems. My two thoughts so far are:
    1. Filament being too wide (but I wouldn't think that it would keep happening with all those different setups)
    2. Hobbed bolt generally sucking (but it manages to grind through the filament just fine)

Any suggestions? I've gotta get this done soon or I'll be in "a bad spot".

2. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I have replaced the bolt, the hotend and almost all in between.... And I have the same issue as you which has only started in the last couple of weeks..

Now that I think about it, I updated the firmware around the same time... Could it be a firmware issue oh great makers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

At the point and time of failure, have you tried releasing the filament bolts and manually feeding the filament? It might at least tell you if the hang up is below the extruder or with the hobbed bolt assembly. You might also try boring out the hot end you are using from the top on through to get a completely clean and straight shot down. Don't forget to remove the nozzle first, though - does anyone need a 2mm nozzle? I have one for sale...
    Good luck! I know how frustrating that issue is.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

do you have a filament cleaner in your filament feed path? that made a big difference for me.

The other issue I've had historically was that when I first started printing, I would really squish the first layer so it was only a thin film. This worked great for first layer sticking, but ended up starting a plug in the nozzle.

5. Red Submarine

What's a filament cleaner? Something you add to the gcode that cleans out the hotend mid print I assume?
    My first layer is perfect, not too squished, not too round, just goldilockin' right.

I haven't updated the firmware but I did read that all the acceleration speeds were too high in it, and by changing the retract acc. from 3000 to 1500 and the extruder acc from 10,000 to 8,000 I am was able to get it to print the entire thing. There was a bunch of fine ground filament on the hobbed bolt which feels like it could of been acting as a lubricant, which is why it was slipping.

Unfortunately, my ABS is warping like crazy and totally disconnected from the bed and I got a whole plate of "spaghetti". I'm just gonna print in PLA now that I've got the shredding hobbed bolt tuned down. Fingers crossed.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

7. Red Submarine

I don't care about silly. Mines wrapped in tin foil at the moment to keep the heat in. Not sure about using this though. My problems are feed related I think. Added friction just seems like a no no at the moment

8. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

Getting the same problem, it only started when i upgraded to an E3d head, so i assumed it was a faulty print head as i found on the E3D forums, but i also upgraded the firmware with the new printhead so this may be the problem. Do you know exactly what you changed in the firmware, and where it was? I've had a look through 'configuration.h' and found: #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000}

Is that what you mean?

9. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

The E3D forums have been discussing this issue and are speculating that it could be the bore length in the E3D nozzle.
    E3D says the bore length should be 1mm. Some have said they have had bore lengths of 2mm and greater.
    A few of them have bored their nozzles to ~.5mm and have stopped having jamming issues.
    As of my last read there was no official weigh-in from E3D on this.

10. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

Yeah, they sent me a replacement nozzel. And i gave it a go tonight. I can print for longer amounts of time now, upto an hour or so, but it still cloggs. I've noticed the print quality improve though

11. Red Submarine

Yes, I just do it manually with my LCD screen but those are the settings to adjust.

12. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

Thanks. I've changed it on the firmware and uploaded it, i'll let you know how it goes tonight. I also found that you should reduce the retraction speed to about 10mm/s in the slicing software (I'm using cura, stock is 40mm/s)

13. Red Submarine

Nice. Make sure you clean the hobbed bolt itself too. Mine had a bunch of really fine plastic powder on it that I think helped it slip more.

14. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

i'm still getting jams, but for a different reason. I've been having some wet wheather recently and i could hear the filament popping as it was being extruded until it clogged. I'll try a new roll, but i won't get a chance till saturday. I'll keep you posted

15. Red Submarine

You can just throw the roll in the oven at a low temperature for 20-30 minutes and bake out all the moisture. Just be sure you're not going to melt the filament.

16. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

I tried the printer on the new settings and I'm not getting the clogging issue anymore. And I've not noticed a lower quality either, i'm printing at upto 60mm/s and its working great. If anyone has the E3d head, there is a problem with some of the brass nozzels too, they replaced mine for free after a quick e-mail.

17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Has anyone tried gong back to the stock Robo head! Just saying, it's working fine.

18. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

yes, my stock head did work ok, but it jammed a lot, and the quality is much better with the e3d. plus you can print more materials with the higher max temp.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The real reason :)

20. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I wonder if the stock head jammed as a result of running it too hot?

This probably caused the material to be molten and when the job finished,
    The molten stuff gets stuck in the head solidifying. One you start another job the filament can't pass thru that mass of a blob until you clear it.

Perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.