1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Another auto-level issues thread..

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rat_Patrol, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

R1+
    Runs through the program fine, but no adjustments seem to be made, as one side of the bed prints with more squish while the other is just casually laying plastic down and it falls on the bed. Realistically, about a .2mm difference.

Wiring is all connected.
    I leveled the x axis.
    Everything looks visually fine.

The only thing I've noticed is that when I level the x axis, the threaded rod on the side that is high doesn't have the same feel as the other side from the stepper motor. As you turn the rod, I don't get the definitive steps like the other side, more "squishy" I would describe it as. It seems to print just fine though.

While this R1+ is only a little over a year old, I run this thing almost non-stop. It has new upgraded 8mm rods (stiffer, actual correct diameter and not under-sized) matched to new Misumi bearings. The build plate seems to be more flexible than it should, but it has always been more flexible than I like.

This particular problem has been an issue for a couple months. I run MC and S3D slicers, runs the same from both.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Side to side is the X axis and it has been mentioned in other threads, but the bottom line is that the factory autoleveling hardware and firmware does not do a good job of autoleveling the X axis. It needs to be close to level anyway for the routine to work.

Your options include:
    1) manually leveling the X axis
    2) loading an different (later) version of the firmware than Robo provides and customizing it and using MESH leveling. It will account for those issues. Bilinear is also a bit better at it in the Marlin 1.10 branch so even if you don't switch to MESH leveling it is better (but MESH rocks).

Shane Simino likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the difference really is in the stepper motor you might consider testing/replacing the stepper driver board first.
    If the stepper driver is working correctly you may have a faulty stepper motor.

4. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

With the machine off, the right side lead screw stepper motor just feels more squishy, unlike the nice steps of the left side lead screw stepper. Should I order a stepper?

And, where is this more advanced firmware, and what is the estimated time to have the bugs worked out after updating the R1?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

A lot of those programming details are getting above my pay grade :eek:

I guess I will wait until that BETA version is finalized.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is the safest bet. Not trying to discourage anyone who wants to jump in though, @WheresWaldo has preconfigured several versions of the CONFIGURATION.H for various Robo printer models so if you are game for loading the firmware you can always download and give it a try (even if you decide to roll back to the stock version later). we did experiment with it on two of ours, and while nice there were a couple of minor issues I just decided to wait out.

8. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

OK, maybe this will help:
    I've been shimming the corner of the build plate with paper to sort of manually level it. I'm up to 3 pieces of copy paper and NO CHANGE IN RESULTS!!
    This must mean that the auto-level is working, but for some reason the (when looking at the machine from the front) front right corner likes to print too low to the print bed.

Sooo...

Bad limit switch on the right side (same side the stepper motor feels 'mushy' on), or does this change anything?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The limit switch is always a possible issue since that is how the printer knows where the bed is. A bad one can throw things off. Also, one corner might not make a big impact if the X is actually the issue (corners would have more impact on Y than X because they are more along the Y axis and there is no easy way to shim the middle of the bed). You could shim under the mounts for the rail on one side and that would be all X.

First video in this thread:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/

goes into some detail about autoleveling.

Also, the way that the auto-leveling works on the 1.0 marlin branch is not optimal which is why the alternatives introduced in 1.10 are good news.

#9 mark tomlinson, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Depending on how much effort you put in you can just manually level the bed and turn off the autoleveling completely. That is what we had before the R1 :) and I did this recently on my C2 as well.

11. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Looks like I fixed it, although i'm not sure exactly what it was.

I noticed that the one magnet on the suspect corner wasn't quite flat. I popped it off and re-glued it to the bed.
    I then leveled the bed via G29 and watching the feedback. This was after I adjusted it with the paper method. I had to adjust the suspect side a LOT, as in more than a complete revolution of the rod to get the levels to be about equal to the machine.

I still think something is mechanically wrong, and I'm only running a test print just now, but at least it is printing in a satisfactory way, so far.

Best source for QUALITY stepper motors with shipping? I am a Prime member, if that helps. I have no issues replacing the z axis set if that would help.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I bought a set from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8

Decent holding torque too. Remember that worst case as long as they are Nema 17 (which describes the face/mounting of the motor) then you could always tweak the firmware if the steps were different, but these are 1.8 deg. step angle(200 steps/rev) -- same as stock

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Well, it WAS working better. Back to square 1 now....

16. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

To clarify: it was working very well for a few, now its EXACTLY like it was before.

17. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Any thoughts since it drifted back to issues after adjustment?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What exactly did you adjust :)

Just the shimming/magnet?

19. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I also leveled the x axis according to G29 feedback. The difference according to the readings was significantly different than adjusting it manually with the paper trick.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And is that adjustment still there? Did the axis re-shift? Also what are the exact symptoms now?