1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Any tips on keeping the print attached to the board

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

While I was printing the the print came unattached from the board. this of course messed up the print. Any tips?

2. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

So far i've used glue stick (Elmer's Purple) and it has worked pretty well with PLA. I'm going to be trying hairspray in the next few days to see how they stack up to one another.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

you will need to try various combinations of:
    -hairspray
    -painters tape
    -glue stick
    -lucky charms*

*(ok, not that one)

4. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

I will have to give that a shot. So far I've reduced the speed of the first layer to 1mm/s and 10mm/s on every thing else within the print settings. In filament settings I upped the Extrusion multiplier to 1.9 and the Extruder temp to 190 and Bed temp to 70 on the first layer. Other layers 185 extruder temp and 65 bed temp. Seems like its going smoothly now. Still printing though...fingers crossed.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should not need the bed hot for PLA. I don't, but maybe I should :)
    Others have said that they had to heat it to get stickage...I have not had a lot of luck with PLA. ABS works just fine (except for warping if the model is thin and wide--running the bed hotter helps that too).

6. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

It was working well but it came unattached again and projected got completely borked.

7. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I know for me I was constantly having the print eventually come off of the bed. I did two things.

I use a heated bed even for PLA (though I know many say you don't need this I still find that it does help)
    I also use hairspray (Aquanet specifically since that seems to hold best from what I've read). I even had my TARDIS print without coming off of the bed and it's fairly tall.

Just remember that if you use hairspray PROTECT THOSE GEARS and RODS! They WILL gum up if you don't do so and that will cause all kinds of other problems. I just use cardboard in front of them to keep the hairspray off of 'em.

8. Thor

Thor Member

PLA -- I'm having similar/different problems -- on small parts (Dell Power Cord Button, Robot), it sticks and holds very well (loreal hairspray 40c heated bed initially). It looks like it might fail as it's putting down the perimeter, but when it does the first hatch, it's solid from there (and the hatch holds the perimeter).

OTOH, If I try to print 2 things, one always comes up when it goes from 1 part to the other (evidently the perimeter cooled too much for the bond?) :/

And -- the hairspray has to be fresh/sticky. If you print, then print on a different spot more than 2 hrs later, the hairspray may as well not be there...

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pretty much the same procedure with the GlueStik. Put fresh layers down before every print.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Chances are you're too high if you're not getting good adhesion. No amount of glue can fix that.​

11. Patrick Elliott

I've had a lot of luck with paraffin wax, I guess the same idea as the glue stick. I also use a brim if it's a big part.

12. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I've heard that air conditioning could also affect the print from sticking.

Anyone know what the temp of the room should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would bet Mike is right and it is too high on the first layer before I worried about the room temperature. Unless the room is extreme one way or the other I can't see that it is going to hugely affect the ability of the print to stay stuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.