1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Are these prints good or bad?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Phat Vi, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You still have a tiny bit of layer slip there, but looks a lot better.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

3. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

205C seems to be a better temperature. the right hand side of the Z-axis stabilizer was successfully printed. photo (1).JPG

4. ssshake

ssshake Member

just got my printer, two calibration cubes printed "ok" any other print, including future cubes got all messed up because the bottom layer wouldnt stick. (im not using tape or anything as of yet) I took your advice and set it to 205 for pla and it looks like it smashed down a good first layer and is printing great as we speak, nearly done the right bracket. So maybe this should be the default? I wonder why it's 195 by default, different environmental variables for different geolocations I guess?

Anyway I'm sad to say for you, that my first and only attempt at printing this bracket at 205 is turing out much better than yours. It's not "perfect" still some z? alignment issues like shown in yours, but mine it much tighter. I'm doing it at low quality. What settings are you using? Did you ever solve your problems?

5. ssshake

ssshake Member

I take it back, I didn't print "much" better than yours. A little better. Can anyone comment is this the max quality to expect?

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Your bed needs tightening. Your y axis set screws need to be tightened. And possibly one of the motors attached to the bottom of the Robo3D printer is loose.

Tighten this and this is the quality you should get:

[[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada[​IMG][​IMG]

#26 Peter Krska, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. ssshake

ssshake Member

What is a y axis 'set' screw? Regarding the motors I gently checked the Z axis parts, and one of the stabilizer rods (if that's the right term) had a stripped screw. Would this cause significant problems?

I'm having bridging issues and some fill issues. However despite that some of my high quality prints looks very good. Not sure what to expect to be considered a "great" print.

Are you guys printing at low quality? I found low pretty useless so I'm also not sure what sort of print quality to expect out of that.

This low quality print, at the edges it's not aligned properly when it wraps around the end. So there's too much on one side (shown here) and a too little on the other side.

[​IMG]

This one turned out OK at low until it got towards the small parts at the top. I dont think it's cooling enough, staying too soft.

[​IMG]

From left to right it's low, medium, high quality. The HQ one turned out much better but it had top layer fill/bridge issues, shown in 2nd photo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What material is that (PLA/ABS/?) I see a little delamination on some layers (which is normally an ABS issue due to no heated chamber).
    Not sure what you mean by 'low quality', but no--I would never print in 'low quality' even if I had a check box for that :cool:

You might want to check the extrusion rates for those, the HQ one you mention seems to be under extruding (just a guess from the picture).

9. Peter Krska

[​IMG]
    The set screw s found here. It is holding the y axis gear that pushes the bed back and forth. If it's loose it will cause all the uneven layer issues.

[​IMG]

Make sure also that the bolts are tight.

Turn the printer on its side and check the motors are also tight and not moving at all. I had to crazy glue the motor body to the board it's attached to because it was loose and the screws will not tighten it anymore. It's now not moving. I don't plan on removing the motor so I glued it.

Now my quality is really nice. I print at 0.2046 and 0.246 which was a typo only part, bit for some reason, it really likes that setting giving me straight lines.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Take your bed off and check that y axis set screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

10. ssshake

ssshake Member

Thanks, it's PLA sorry. btw I started my own thread because I realized I might be hi-jacking this guy's. http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/is-my-printer-working-well.2825/

I don't know what that means.

I was concerned about extrusion rates because I'm getting some general fill issues where I don't think there's a reason to be one. Such as 100% infill having top layer issues, shown in my thread. Honestly not sure what to do about it. I set 1.1x extrusion in the software and ran some tests without a noticeable difference.

TBH the low quality is a setting im referring to in the software that ships with it, and earlier in this thread, the red z-axis support pictures are what I mean by low quality. That's what my prints look like at low, and take 24 minutes, but they look much better at high which takes over an hour. At high the fundamental issues persist but are less apparent due to what I'm assuming is a much slower print rate. Maybe this printer isn't good at the speed that "low" runs at?

#30 ssshake, Jul 15, 2014
  11. ssshake

ssshake Member

For my education, if it's loose, does it cause slip or vertical movement?

Can you link me that file for that so I can compare?

Will I have to remove the belt to do that?

12. Peter Krska

Thingiverse - search for cheeseburger. Size it in MC bigger.

You need to take off your bed. Unscrew the top bed screws. Also unscrew the belt holder on one side. Take the bed off to one side, careful of the bed wiring.

Check the orientation of the belt around the bolts. Remember it or better yet take pictures along the way to see how things go back together.

Then check the bolts and set screw for tightness. You need a really small Allen key for the set screws(2)

Then tilt the Robo3D printer on its side and check the motors for any movement. Tighten if needed.

Then put the bed back on watching to make sure your belt is put on properly. The tighten the bed and belt holder screws .

Then home the extruder and do a level check using a business card. It's thicker and allot easier for checking. Tesserat gave me that suggestion. Use the z rods, holding one, while turning the other to adjust the height so that the biz card is able to move freely. Now move to the middle and readjust. Finally go the the opposite side and readjust.

Once your z height is level across the x plane, use the z axis screw to do the rest of the levelling, not touching the z rods anymore.

Do a test print. It should look good on the sides going up.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The above prints are of a thingiverse print called awesome guitar and the white is of a neck I took off a stratocaster design.

[​IMG]

#32 Peter Krska, Jul 15, 2014
  13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Mark, I think he mentions PLA.

ssshake,
    In that second photo in that melted looking upper right part you are definitely having cooling problems. Look at your slicer cooling setting carefully and try to understand what they are doing. Also are those delaminated layers or just missing extrusions? If you are missing extrusions then check for plastic shavings in your hobbed bolt. If you have shavings on the bolt then replace it with one from ebay.

2 people like this.
  14. Peter Krska

Here is the cheeseburger print finished. White PLA 190,'bed 55, layer height 0.246

[​IMG]
    You can see the raft laying beside the print. Came off so nice. Heat the bed to 100 and then peel off the raft.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the burger in detail
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Try it and compare. Make it as big as mine. Judge by eye, you'll need to scale it up. Good luck, hope it goes well. Make sure you tighten those things mentioned earlier.

The burger has overhanging cheese. It did not use support. I thought It should look like oozing cheese. Let it hang!

I think it came out pretty good.
    Looks like a slider!

#34 Peter Krska, Jul 15, 2014
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good point as that will cause under extrusion in a big way. :)

16. Peter Krska

Just to update you on that cheeseburger, well I changed it into a lettuce burger.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Peter Krska

Here is a 15mm cube for you to compare with:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.