1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Auto Leveling & Printing at Very High Z Axis?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tehbatman, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Tehbatman

Tehbatman New Member

It seems there's a problem with my auto leveling. When I try to run a print, the hot end touches on each of the 9 points. But, instead of decreasing the Z and touching the build plate, it increases the Z by ~2mm. So, when it begins printing it's printing at ~20mm too high off the build plate.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

and you it is hitting the bed at each of the 9 points? What is your z offset set to? Did you put in a negative Z value?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd look for the z offset like @danzca6 pointed out then verify your z switches arnt out of place

4. danzca6

and if you have a pic of your z endstops we can help to verify if they look out of place or not. Sometimes they come loose and jack up the ABL process.

5. Tehbatman

Tehbatman New Member

It hits the first point, then continues to rise 2 mm incrementally per point.

6. Tehbatman

Tehbatman New Member

Z Offset set to 0.6mm.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Certainly a problem with the switches.

Geof likes this.
  8. Tehbatman

Tehbatman New Member

http://imgur.com/a/p3nkh - Pictures of both limit switches. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with them physically.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check the connections at the ramps board. If ok do a paper level to ensure they are even

10. danzca6

Oh the good ol "stair way to heaven" issue. Yeah I had mine do that from time to time. My left side of Z would stick up and then when it went to the next probe point the switch would already be triggered and go up to the next point and so on. I thought that is what was happening with yours but you mentioned it did touch on each point. One thing to make sure is that your X axis is fairly level by manually adjusting the leadscrews with your fingers. Then make sure you have lubed your Z smooth rods and threaded rods with some 3in1 machine oil or equivalent. Finally, make sure the bracket that holds your z endstops are secure to the brass nut and don't slide. There is a bolt and nut in the back of each to tighten. You want the switch as flush with the endcaps of your x axis as possible. If all that doesn't work, and I hope it does, then you can look at the possibility of adding a counter weight on the left side. See with the motor on the right it is pretty heavy on the right and light on the left. So the extra weight helps balance it out. I never had to go that far though, but others here have and said that worked out for them. I later got rid of my z endstops and went a different route that I no longer have to worry about it pushing on the bed. I hear more R1+PLUS users having this issue as well. I didn't have it until I went with the new leadscrews that come on the R1+PLUS. It comes with an endstop bracket with the vertical wing. That sometimes would rub up against the endcap bracket and cause it to stick. So I also hit that with a little oil from the rag I used on the smooth rods and that also seemed to help. Not a fan of that new design.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.