1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved auto leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by asignco, Jan 19, 2015.

1. asignco

asignco New Member

I purchased the auto level parts, but no instructions and I cannot find a video on how to install. just videos on how it works. need installation info help and I assume I need to download firmware for auto leveling once installed to make work?

-Mark

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. asignco

asignco New Member

thanks Mike - exactly where do the pins for each side go on the arduino board? same area as the x,y,z stops?

-Mark

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup it's a replacement for the Z endstop

5. asignco

asignco New Member

OK - using mattercontrol and help from robo3D guys, got everything working. But really like Repetier better. However, to make it work right I need to find the Z offset setting so the hotend raises to the proper height after leveling. (right now it setting right on the bed after the 9pt process)
    In the printer setup in Repetier there is only an X and Y offset - no Z
    any idea where to find this?
    -Mark

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd suggest just using the G-code method.

In the startup G-code add this code after G28:

Code:

M565 Z-1.0 ;Define Z offset at 1.0, more negative is further from bed

Change the Z-1.0 to something like Z-0.7 or Z-1.2 depending on your printer.

2 people like this.
  7. asignco

asignco New Member

when I download the Auto_Level_7_17_516inch_ folder, then go to arduino to upload, there are 2 files Marlin .ino and Auto_Level_7_17_516inch_-.ino -
    both have the arduino logo. which do I upload? what is the difference?

-Mark

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

the same as the folder name.

Marlin.ino is a remnant file and would error if you try and open it. Just ignore that.

9. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

==========================================================================================================

Hi Mike. I finally got my upgrade gear in Dec 14 but had to put it away till the Christmas season/kids holidays finished. In Australia that is the same as your summer holidays - several weeks. Anyway I have installed the new bed, autolevel gear as well as a E3D but now am stuck on the autolevel firmware - can you assist. I have downloaded the latest autolevel 7_17_516inch, unzipped it into the latest Arduino - Sketchbook but when I try to upload it (with USB connection to my printer) I consistently get an error message avrdude stk500v2_get sync():can't communicate with device:resp=0x01. My PC is running Win7. Any/all comments welcome.

One thought: I had to replace much of my printer hardware (and Arduino) about 12months ago from the original crowdfunding version due to a meltdown (inferior wiring); could this mean I possibly have a later version of printer and need different firmware?

(pushing my luck): I have followed the installation instructions for the E3D but is there not also firmware amendments as well?
    Im stumped on what to do with the Arduino upload !
    Rick :)

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

11. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

FIX TO ARDUINO ERROR "avrdude stk500v2_get sync():can't communicate with device:resp=0x01." when trying to upload auto-level upgrade and no PORT is showing up on your PC to link Auto-Level 7_17_516inch firmware with the Arduino software

thanks Mark T. for a quick reply above and my problem is now solved - not from the Instructables link supplied (good effort site) but from 2 minutes with Jerry on Tech Support > below is the 'fix' for others if this is not recorded elsewhere.............

Reinstalling the endstops onto the Arduino board after rebuilding the printer from the Y axis upgrade/Auto leveling (new hot bed, z endstops etc) the endstop pins on the board has 3&4 rows of pins rows 1,2,3 (top to bottom) read named '+','-' and '20'.(ignore 4th row '21'). My two wire - red/black plug I initially placed into rows 1&2 presuming red wire was +'active' and black -'negative' ,WRONG, The plug needs red wire on "-" (neg) and the black wire into row 3 '20'. Port (4) and connection loaded onto my PC immediately, which allowed the upload (auto-level firmware) onto Arduino software and all was complete in less than 2 minutes. Hope this makes sense and assists.

Rick

12. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Once again for the dummies please............ I am sure this has been asked before but i cannot find it easily. I have installed a E3D extruder and updated the firmware on Matter Control. IS that it OR is there more to complete the upgrade? Also after updating the firmware I thought I would be able to reach 300 degrees to tighten the extruder end but the temp does not go beyond 288/289?
    thanks
    Rick

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have to customize the firmware then upload it. I think @Mike Kelly already had a version done with those changes. You could just load that and Bob's Your Uncle.

He can point you to where it was staged. It might even be on the Robo3D firmware wiki page.

14. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

========================================================================================================
    Mark I cannot see any reference to E3D or its custom or its firmware on @Mike Kelly. What/where is the wiki page?
    thanks

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Wiki/RoBo_3D_Firmware

I don't specifically see it there however. Hopefully @Mike Kelly can point to where he had it staged.
    If not (if I am mistaken about him having an edited version already staged) you need to :

-download the correct version for your printer (ebta, R1, R1 w/m8, etc.)
    -download the Arduino IDE and install
    -extract the firmware
    -edit configuration.h to set the appropriate values for MAX temps (hotend and bed--if you want to change bed max)
    -compile and upload to the printer with the Arduino IDE.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer