1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Autolevel issue since lead screw upgrade installation.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has been having an issue with the auto bed leveling since the installation of the lead screw upgrade?

What's happening is that on the fourth and fifth points in the auto-level sequence, the x axis just raises up. For example:

Point 1: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 2: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 3: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 4: Raises up 10 mm.
    Point 5: Raises another 10 mm.
    Point 6: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 7: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 8: Lowers and touches bed twice.
    Point 9: Lowers and touches bed twice.

It didn't do this at all before the lead screw upgrade. I re-flashed the printer with the new firmware and I'm 100% sure my wiring is correct. I followed the instructions to a tee.

A very similar issue can be found in this video:

Does the G-code need to be changed to work properly with the new stepper motors or something?

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the X-axis is running in parallel to the bed?

Do you have one of these? It'll make it easier to check.

http://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Digital-Angle-Gauge/dp/B001PTGBRQ

Turn it on, set it on the bed, zero it out.

Move it to the carriage, then adjust by turning one of the Z-axis screws either direction until it goes back to Zero again.

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

I don't own one of those but the printer has cost me it's own price in repairs and parts alone. I'd rather not spend any more on it! What I did to make sure the x-axis is running parallel to the bed was that I took a ruler and measured from the bed to the top of the piece that the z-axis rods run through. I did that on both sides and spun each rod until the value was the same.

4. daniel871

That should have you fairly close.

And I'm right there with you on not wanting to spend any more money on parts for the Robo.

Should've saved up for an Ultimaker or the BigBox coming out next year from E3D, but here we are.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

Absolutely agree! Most expensive paperweight I've ever bought. I'm looking to get an Ultimaker 2 sometime in a few months. Hoping to get the Robo in a functional enough state that I can sell it.

6. daniel871

I'm on the fence between the Ultimaker2 Extended and the E3D BigBox Pro.

E3D makes everyone's upgrades, but Ultimaker is basically the Cadillac of the hobby 3d Printer market.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You will likely have similar issues (as far as setup, config, tuning the printer mechanically) regardless. Just so you know.
    I have used the Ultimaker, fine FDM printer. Has the same "get it running" issues that almost all of them in this price range have :)

8. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Once you get a UM setup they are works of art though.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree that they are reliable and consistent. They do really well at printing (but they do cost more). However, thinking that buying one will magically solve everything related to config, setup, tuning? Good luck with that. :)

10. Sonny's Robo3D

@Oisin - Sounds like endstops - one of them most likely isn't touching - start with the z-axis. maybe the screw on the bracket is loose.

I have friends with Ultimaker, Makerbot 5th gen, Cube Pro and Xyz Printer. None worked like it should out of the box. My friend with the MakerBot had the most issues and he paid the highest price of all of us. They are annoyed that after this lead screw upgrade my prints are matching theirs and they spent 1K + more.

But of all of them, the Ultimaker is by far the better printer in terms of quality and next on my list. the E3D Big Box looks interesting though.

11. Oisin

Oisin Member

I know where you're coming from, Mark, but having spent almost a year trying to get this printer to print anything and spending double the cost of the printer for failure after failure is ridiculous. I'd rather spend that extra bit initially to have a functional printer.

Sonny, I agree that it sounds like the endstops. I watched the contacts as it did this and I couldn't see any problem. I'm a little stumped by it to be honest. I did notice that the endstops were not flush with the rest of the body they're attached to. That didn't seem quite right to me. They are attached correctly. Can anyone confirm this is the case with their printer?

12. Sonny's Robo3D

Take a pic of it - I have a feeling that is it

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I hear you, just be warned that of late they also have been plagued by quality issues. Like mentioned, almost none work easily right out of the box. GRANTED you should NOT be chasing broken parts... but it might happen with any of them since they are much alike in assmbly and QA :)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. one of the best ones I fiddled with of late was (sadly) a FlashForge creator clone from a generic Chinese vendor.
    It actually was pretty darn well configured with minimal tweakage. Dual extruders and cheaper than even a Robo. Mostly enclosed as well (not a heated chamber, but well enclosed). Not nearly as much build area as a Robo.. so there is that.

Not my cup of tea, but a friend of mine got into the 3d printing stuff after seeing mine and I helped him get started.

15. daniel871

The Wanhao Duplicator 4S?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks nice, cheaper too. Have not played with one myself (nor worked with someone who has).
    Dual MK10 J-heads. Not shabby.

However, will it be better out of the box :)
    No clue myself, but darn would it be nice once you dialed it in.

17. William Muraski

hold the coupler on the right side and try to spin the rod by hand, if it moves the rod is loose, get it tighten, level the carriage out and test again. check the coupler to stepper as well by raising it up and try to hold the coupler still if you can it's loose or possibly under driven or you have a heat issue for the stepper drivers.

might seem like a silly question, but are you sure both rods are the same thread pitch? wouldn't be the first time i have seen 2 threaded rods with different thread pitch

#17 William Muraski, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  18. daniel871

One of the 3d Printer groups I'm in on FB has a few people that own them and they have nothing but good things to say about it. They spent the money for Simplify3D and got their profiles set up for it and from there have been printing stuff without any problems.

19. Oisin

Oisin Member

There are no couplers on the upgrade. The rods are definitely the same thread pitch as well.

20. William Muraski

if you swap the z stepper connection does the problem switch side's