1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved bad heating element?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gunsmoke132, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gunsmoke132

gunsmoke132 Member

recently got a new heating element because the other one burnt out from what I can tell. this one is having troubles getting to 200C is this just a crap heating element or is something wrong with the robo. last I checked the wires are putting out their proper 12V. also should i get a 40w or 60w?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which heating element are you referring to? The bed or the hotend (which is called a heater core just to be clear).

Assuming you mean the heater core ...
    I always use the 40w heater cores, the ones that come stock with the hexagon are 30w and the E3D uses a 25w.
    I have had the occasional core die on me (or go weak) but as cheap as they are I never have just one as a spare :)

It is possible (although not as likely) that the output on the RAMPS is defective and not supplying enough current. Just make sure you buy one with the correct voltage (12v)

3. gunsmoke132

gunsmoke132 Member

yeah jut fount out its a 24v

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well that is your problem :) A 24v heater core will work at "half-speed" on a 12v circuit

Geof likes this.