1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bad Printer.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bigwookiee, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

I get the feeling no one is reading my email. *** Common issues with first print *** boilerplate text is not reassuring!

I have a leaking extruder. i.e.plastic is coming out the top of the extruder, running across the heating block and being forced down the side of the rubber boot and wreaking my prints. I have a new problem on top of that My printer stops extruding on the right (viewed from the front) side of the prints. I have video that I would have include if the site would have allowed it as well as a few photo to show the problems.

The last problem I am having is that the print is not centered on the Y-axis. In matter control the print is center just fine on the heating bed. I think this is probably easy to fix, I just not sure where to make the changes or how.

Thanks,

David Klingenberg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The leaking is a faulty printhead (they had some that were not tightened correctly).
    This needs you to open a support ticket with them for a response.

From a user support community perspective :)
    There is a small wrench that was supplied with the printer and you use that to tighten the heat-block to the cold-section. You do this while the hotend is hot and if you want help with that, let us know and I will find and link you to the instructions.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You also mention that the print is not centered on the bed, then go on to say that "In matter control the print is center just fine on the heating bed."

So, what is not centering it correctly? You likely just need to configure that software for the correct bed size and centering behavior. Let us know what software that is.

4. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

I
    I am at a total loss as to how to open a support ticket. Been looking around sometime for that option.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might not expect them to respond on the weekend.

I do not know about that.

7. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

The software that can be download from robo 3d website. I configured it with R1 default setting per the getting started video. When I add a print it is center properly in the software view window. On the print bed it prints twords the back of the printer about 1/2 in to maybe 1 in. Also the auto level is off by about that much. It dose not touch down in the 4 small squares. It touches down inside the big square out line and then completely out side the outline in the back of the printer.

BTW Thanks for you help and do you know how to add a file to show what I am talking about or do I need to do a link from an outside site?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should be able to click "Upload a File" and attach a screen shot or picture.

Sounds like the end-stops (one or more of them) might not be getting triggered correctly (or might be not working correctly).

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea, I had a couple nagging problems. I got hold of people on the weekend using the help ticket thing above and added pics... had a one on one for a good hour plus. Long and short is... its probably not a bad printer, there's a lot of setup before its truly ready.

It should NOT be touching any of the 4 squares. they are decoration for FUN :)
    it should be touching down in 9 areas across the plate. 3 front 3 middle 3 rear. last one should be just beyond the border for the large white box in the rear right. Similarly the first 3 touch down spots are behind the white box line in the front. If its not doing 9 spots, you may be trying to do the matter control auto level? Don't do that. Do the G29 autolevel and make sure auto level is checked OFF in mater control. Two different processes one firmware one software.

the picture printed on the plate is not centered. it is significantly towards the rear. So glass wise, it should not be centered. It would center in what looks to be the center of the white box area.

If you're not centering properly, the culprit is usually an unplugged, or blocked y axis, or in one as new as yours, maybe not even on there right in the first place. Make sure all the magnets are in their little holes, make sure your y axis micro switch is plugged in and not blocked, make sure the heater cable isn't binding. if it makes a grinding noise when it homes the y axis, its wrong.

#9 Ben R, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  10. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

My build area have been shifted back about a inch from day one. I haven't found a way to get mine right either.

11. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

So, you've measured from stop to stop and it calls 0 25ish mm back?

When mine did that, it was the wire for the heater hitting the zero switch. eventually the wire came off and it raised the alarm that something is wrong.
    but again. Its not centered in the glass, if that's how you're measuring.
    Curious as to what you're measuring your y print distance to be.

12. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I'm going to run this test for the first layer then I will post my results. they will be off center in x and y.

My x is 215
    my y is 245
    and my z is 190

Attached Files:

13. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

what software is that?

14. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Cura. but its the same in MC and Simplified.

15. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Here are the results. it looks like my x is better then I thought but the y is way off. the rear right side isnt fully back I guess I messed up that side. but you can see everything is pushed back about a half inch.

Attached Files:

16. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

i dunno, looks square to me... discounting the happy printed R square.
    is the circle equidistant from the other bits? And are you getting the ... whatever 2oo some mm 8.58 or what its supposed to be inches out of it?

If so.. ignore the paint.

17. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

z could be 205 if'n you need it.

18. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

AlignmentIssue.jpg

I did not realize that the last 3 touch downs out of the 9 touch downs alignment process took place outside of the printed area on the hot bed. So my print may be aligned just fine. The streaks on the left I think are caused by the bed not being level. My earlier comment about 4 touch downs was just in reference to the outer corner touch downs.

My auto level is working now. I don't know what I was doing wrong with auto level. I had to enable it then disable it in the software, restart the program, double check that it was disable (software), printed and no auto level, restart the program once more, checked that it was disabled (software) and printed, and finally it auto level.

Sigh, it sucks to be a newby.

19. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

the square isn't the "printed area... well it kind of is. It might be the heated area... you know.. I never thought of it. It works.

SO yea... that matercontrol autolevel is ... as mike puts it... a hat on a hat. But worse than that. it causes failure.

well.. press on to the next failure. Probably a clogged head... then a leaky extruder.

20. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

the back end of my build is off the heated bed. the front side the heat bed is sticking out. so I am not in line with the bed or the heat bed. but the heater and the white outline are matched up pretty good. so everything that is built outside that is building on a cold bed. or at least less heated.

this pic shows how far off the heated bed I can print . looks like about 12-13 mm . but I am also losing that in the front. so if I could just shift forward I could use my whole build area on the heated bed.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.