1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bad Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DylanPoe, Sep 25, 2015.

1. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

I recently bought the r1 plus and so far haven't gotten any decent prints, have had it for almost a week, I've been playing around with the settings, different speeds, temps, etc I'm not quite sure what I'm missing. I am using Matter Control for the slicer, My prints keep coming out looking like the pictures below. Those are 10x10x10 calibration cubes. I've printed larger sizes and they come out looking the same, Im printing with the blue PLA that came with the printer, at 195° and 55° they seem to look the best. Any 20150926_015055.jpg 20150926_015811.jpg 20150926_015613.jpg help wo 20150926_015055.jpg 20150926_015055.jpg uld be appreciated!

2. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

Being a new R1+ user myself, take this as a Noob observation. It looks like a clogged extruder to me. The 2nd day I was printing, I had something simular happen to me. My 1st layer took some time to form then in the print the filiment didn't look like it was moving. I raised the head and extruded filiment till it ran in a single strain with very little after flow. Cleaned up the bed and tried again. Slightly better results but still need adjusting. I unplugged the USB and rebooted the printer and tried again. The test cude came out, 20x19.8x10 with no problems. I was trying the cura engine in MC and switch back to the MC engine. My printer seems to like the MC engine better. But my printer seems to need a reboot after starting up to work right. I was using the medium setting, 210, 55

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

I appreciate the feedback, I followed that link and added an oiler, then I printed one out afterwards still doesn't look the greatest 20150926_195521.jpg , I checked and the extruder isn't clogged either, disconnected and reconnected the printer with no better results. It appears that the extruder might be printing too high off of the part, could that maybe be a cause? I've tried lowering the z axis but when I do the skirt has the wagon wheel look to it meaning it's too low. I will try continuing the print with the z axis lowered to see how the part looks.

5. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

I will try a different slicer as well

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you have the correct firmware loaded. Otherwise your Z steps could be incorrect and that will cause garbage prints (after the first few layers). I am not sure how/where that is located for the R1+

this page says call/email them:

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, if you are not using the defaults, what is your layer heights/widths and nozzle size? (I would assume 0.4mm on the nozzle size)

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think you could also stand to increase the temperature. Maybe do an extruder calibration as well

Try a different filament as well

10. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

I believe I have the correct firmware installed, I called customer support and he told me the newest firmware for the r1+ should be installed, not sure how to check for sure. I followed the link for the z offset the first layer looks as it should but once it moves up from there it starts printing too high off the printed piece(I'll try to upload a video) the z steps per mm are set to 2560. I have the layer height set to .2mm and it is .4mm nozzle size. Customer support told me to increase temps to 210° and 70° and print a calibration cube with matterslice in matter control then the same cube using cura engine in matter control then back to matterslice in matter control(changing no settings in between), and that might solve the issue. I will do an extruder calibration after the current print is finished and come back with an update. I have a few more rolls of filament coming tomorrow I will try. Screenshot_2015-09-27-13-19-48.png Screenshot_2015-09-27-13-20-49.png

11. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

20150927_132801.jpg I couldn't get the video to upload, those are the highest quality pictures I can upload as well, this is what that finished cube looks like

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I honestly can't say that I know what they should be for the R1+, however assuming the firmware is correct then they should be correct.

However the symptoms sound suspiciously like the Z Steps are mis-set.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The R1+ uses 800 steps per mm on the Z. 2560 is way too much and would explain what you're seeing.

Which firmware does it say you're running?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks, makes sense as I would have expected it to be close to the Z axis upgrade numbers.

15. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

Attached Files:

16. DylanPoe

DylanPoe New Member

That ended up being the answer to my problem, I remember that I had saw some posts on here saying z steps should be set to 2560 for the r1's and so I changed mine without realizing I had the upgraded version. Thanks again for the help it's much appreciated! I am getting much better results now.

mark tomlinson likes this.