1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Baking paper

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by deeph, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeph

deeph Member

I don't know if this has been asked by someone or not yet, but can I use Baking paper that used to bake cookies? If I'm not mistaken Baking paper will not stick to cookies.
    Anyone?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think parchment paper has a coating of teflon on it. Very slick and probably won't stick to plastic. Not sure. Never seen it done

3. deeph

deeph Member

Hmm, my question little bit ambiguous though haha sorry. How about if the baking paper smeared with glue (as a medium to stick the prints and baking paper)? I have hard time to letting off the prints. I'm using glue and 60 degrees bed temperature.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

If you make that switch, you're probably going to find that your problem switches from sticking too hard to not sticking at all.
    If you're sticking too strongly, just adjust your calibration very slightly so your printer starts a hair higher.

I use shims rather than a business card. For ABS, I use a 0.06mm shim. For PLA, a 0.1mm shim.

You can also get a can of cold spray (or an air duster upside down) and just hit a corner of your part for an easy removal.

5. deeph

deeph Member

I have set the starting Gcode at 0.8mm. If I set 0.1mm it will drag the bed badly. 0.7mm is the lowest.

When actually the best time to taking off the prints without any 'helper' (cold spray, etc)?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

When the bed is ambient temperature

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I think we're missing something in translation. I was referring to the process you use when you set your z 'zero' position, not the offset value you enter.

Standard starting instructions say to set your zero based on when you have just a little bit of tension on a business card between the hot end and the bed. Instead of a business card which can be any range of thickness depending on what it's made from, I use steel shims of a known thickness. I choose different thicknesses based on the material I am printing with.

8. deeph

deeph Member

So did you mean that when auto bed leveling running, I have to shim the hotend with metal shim or etc? And keep the offset at 1?

Or I do the manual bed leveling which is at Tools->Bed leveling?

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I guess different people are doing it differently. I was thinking of the matter control process where you go and set the nozzle height against a business card at 3 points during setup. If you're not using that method, then you should just change from 0.8 to a slightly higher number like 0.83

10. deeph

deeph Member

Thanks, I got it work now I'm using the 0.83 method. And I got my baking paper on my hand, just curious..

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, try it if you think it will work. Print a test and see.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.