1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Base layer problems....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, Aug 17, 2020.

1. adepino

adepino Member

The level is definitely pretty close, and stops always look pressed. I watched the video again, but I don't see anything on mine that is alarming. :( Maybe it just needs a firmware flash? I installed MatterControls about a week ago before I started having this problem because I was curious to see how much the software has changed since the last time I used it. I noticed there was an update firmware button or something like that. I attempted to try it, but it seemed to fail. Could that have possibly screwed up my firmware? like a halfway overwrite, then failure, type scenario??? Im perplexed as to why I had ZERO problems for 5 years then one day I cannot get it to print anything. :mad:

P.S. Yesterday I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Cura just in case, but nothing changed.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is nothing in the firmware that will cause this, but if you want to try -- go ahead. Unless you put the incorrect version in you will be fine (and probably right back where you started). If the two Z switches are mounted correctly (not poorly seated and they are up tight against the crossbar when the nozzle is off the bed and both wires are landed on the correct terminals of the switches) then that is not the problem. If you have not already done so, try bringing the Z offset (M565 in the start gcode) further from the bed to see if that affects it as expected. Go from -0.76 to -1.0 -- does it behave differently?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also not real clear on what the last line in your startup GCode is doing (the G1) the might try commenting that out and testing.
    To comment out a line make the first character the semicolon --> ;

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something changed (but, you knew that) :)
    Likely something hardware. I'd suggest taking the top cover off and do a complete inspection of the printer.

Check everything:

1) The belt tensions. If you have never re-tension-ed them they are too loose. (check X and Y)
    2) The drive sprockets on the stepper shafts that move the belts. Make sure they are not loose.
    3) The smooth rod bases/mounts (where they attached to the bed) they can crack or break and if they are loose, they are not working.
    4) Lubricate the smooth and threaded rods.