1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Base layer problems....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, Aug 17, 2020.

1. adepino

adepino Member

Hey guys, I've been printing successfully with my R1 for something like 5-6 years, BUT now this....

First off, both of my "Y axis pillow blocks" were severely cracked so I printed some new ones and threw them in there, easy peasy. I attempted to do a manual bed level, which I have NEVER done in all the years i've had this printer. My prints were always small so I never needed the entire bed. Now I attempt my first manual bed level, which seemed to go okay, except now I get this every time I print...The 6 rounds of Brim layer print OKAY, but as soon as it goes to print the first official bottom layer of the part, the head drops down just enough to start demolishing the tape. Im lost as to why this would happen. It does this same thing every time I try to print anything. This file is the same one that I previously had success with; printing new Y-axis pillow blocks...

I understand the idea of using the paper to tram the bed, but what am I supposed to do in the software to make sure it saves the level correctly? anything? Im using the latest version of Cura.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can't talk about Cura, but make sure that the startup gcode block has the autoleveling setup correctly (if you are still using it) or that it is removed from the startup gcode if you are using manual leveling.

Refer to this post in the FAQ: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119212

Normally with manual leveling there is NOTHING to save because the print carriage is manually leveled. So you would want to make sure that all traces of autoleveling are removed from the slicer and that it is not trying to enforce a Z offset (because you have manually/mechanically set that).

My startup GCode for manually leveled printers is a G28 and not a lot more...

3. adepino

adepino Member

I don't believe the issue is necessarily related to the Z offset because the first later of brim goes down fairly well. Its when it finishes the brim layer, then begins the first layer of the part, the head is buried into the tape. It COULD be something I did in the G-code. Ive never really learned a ton about G-code; ive only really added z-offset and auto-leveling code.

Also, I was unclear on the process of manual level. I could not find a guide anywhere in the forums that explained it from beginning to end. The paper method and shimming is simple, but I wasn't sure what to do in the G-code once I manually leveled.. Do I delete the G29 code prior to leveling, and then never add it back in? Is there anything else in the G-code I need to modify? Could you take a quick peek at my G-code and see if you notice anything strange that I may have inadvertently done to cause this new issue im having?

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is likely that the slicer is not using the Z offset for the brim.
    The actual model ... yes.
    For it to dive down after the brim your Z offset is too low (or positive -- should be negative)

If you are manually leveling then the G29 needs to be removed and not used and the Z offset (M565) is not used.

If you want to continue to use it I would experiment with a larger negative number for the Z offset.
    More negative => further from the bed
    Less negative => closer to the bed

If you do a raft most slicers will NOT use the Z offset as part of the raft, they will once it start to print the model ON the raft.

The priming lines used by the C2/R2 are NOT using the Z offset -- it uses an absolute position to do the priming line.

5. adepino

adepino Member

Hmm...I get how logically, it would appear that the z offset would be causing the problem, but with Cura ive always adjusted the z offset to make micro adjustments to the depth of my brim layer. If my brim is not sticking, ill stop the print, adjust the offset, and it always fixes it. In my personal experiences, the z offset has always affected the brim layer. I actually did it for this specific print. It was floating in mid air the first 2 times I attempted the print. I eventually adjusted the offset enough to achieve this. How else do you tell the brim later to move up or down if its not sticking well?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Again that is all slicer specific (and I have not used Cura in a loooong time). So if you are happy with it working that way -- good.
    Brim/Raft most slicers don't use the autoleveling offset for that at all.

7. adepino

adepino Member

Ok, I have been pleased with Cura up to this point. Ive tried to use MatterControls SEVERAL times and really don't like it... What slicer do you use?

And one more question:
    When I manually level the bed, and remove the Z offset and G29 code, then what tells the printer where the surface is in space? It doesn't seem to be compensating for the thickness of the painters tape now...Its printing relatively level, just too deep.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify3D for about the past 6 years :)

The Z sensor on the R1/R1+ is the nozzle. It uses that to find "the bed" and regardless of what you added on top of the bed, the "probe" will drive down until it "senses" whatever is there. That is your Z home. Are both of your Z home switches positioned correctly? It is easy for one of them to get out of position and if that happens it will simply not work correctly. Review the autoleveling video here if you are unclear on what I mean: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/

With no autoleveling being used it will not do the 9-step probing and Z home is the spot where one or both of the Z home switches trip when it drives the extruder down.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Z offset was designed to help account for the inherent small amounts of mechanical slop that occur with the carriage and the switches. They are not high precision and there will be variance from one machine to another in the exact positions the switches trip. With manual leveling you would physically adjust the switches up against the crossbar until the nozzle is positioned where you want it for the first layer. You probably are familiar with the sheet of paper approach -- that gets you close and then you tweak from there until it is perfect. Without autoleveling -- that is the end of the story until you have to replace the nozzle or work on the extruder. After that you redo the manual leveling.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The original idea was the autoleveling was easier than manual leveling and that it would help account for beds that were bowed or warped. However the BiLinear algorithm used by default in Marlin 1.0 doesn't do well for warped beds. The newer Marlin versions used by the R2/C2 CAN do better if you use MESH or UBL (Unified bed leveling) rather than the BiLinear.

11. adepino

adepino Member

Oh I would love to use Simplify3D, but thats a little too rich for my blood haha. I can't justify the cost for the amount I use my printer. Ok, Then since this is the first time ive ever tried to manually level the bed and disable auto-level, the problem is likely the fact that ive always homed and then raised the nozzle 1mm, just so it wouldn't drag the tape when it leaves home to begin the print. When I used auto-level, it wasn't really a problem, but I see how it would be a problem now. Im going to give that a go. Is there a standard default measurement for the distance from nozzle to print bed for when using manual level?

12. adepino

adepino Member

Yes I haven't been on these forums in so long, I just found out about mesh leveling, so I may try that next if I can get it for R1.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, whatever makes your first layer look like this:

https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

Seriously due to the fine differences it will almost never be the exact same offset for any two printers. I have 4 Robos and they are all different. Obviously the other non-Robo machines are different too...

There is a version of the R1 firmware using Marlin 1.1.x that is linked in the forums here and includes configuration files for the R1 and R1+ : http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-1-1-9-release-for-robo-r1.22329/

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a community supported version and not the same as the stock firmware. Not wildly different, but it does have the Marlin 1.1.x functionality

adepino likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Actually getting manual leveling to work can mean lifting the bed and shimming the bed base mounts on each side or shimming the build plate (where the magnets hold it in place).

16. adepino

adepino Member

I shimmed with tiny squares of paper between the magnets, that made the most sense to me. The bed is definitely warped though because as I run across the bed between points, I maintain the paper between the nozzle, but the paper gets loose near the middle of the bed, and then tight again as it nears the opposite end... I just did a test print without auto-level or z-offset and its mashing the filament into the tape. Whatever the default allowance it is giving me for the manual level is not enough :(

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, that is not an unusual thing (sadly) but you can fix this in an easy way ...
    Go to your local hardware store and get a sheet of float glass cut (that is what they make window panes out of) sized to fit over the printable area of the bed (or the entire bed -- your call). Put it over the printable area (you can use binder clips to hold it in place).

That is it... this works because window glass is invariably very flat. Not warped. If it were you would notice the visual effects :)
    Does it have to be Borosilicate (Pyrex) to account for the heat? Nope, the bed does not get hot enough or change temperature fast enough for that to matter.

P.S. that pane of custom cut glass will be cheap....

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now if it is too close to the bed everywhere then you need to adjust the switches mechanically on the rods either up slightly (the mounts they are in have locking screws you can loosen to move them). This will cause the Z to trigger sooner (which will make the default offset higher). Mechanically the switches are jammed against the crossbar and will trigger (open) when the crossbar is lifted off of them and by lowering them fractionally you make that happen sooner. Worst case you can set a default axis offset that lifts the Z a fraction (not the M565 -- that is for autoleveling)

https://all3dp.com/2/z-offset-3d-printing-how-to-adjust-it/

So even if the switches can't be adjusted to suit you can force the Z to be lifted a bit before the printer starts.

19. adepino

adepino Member

Ok...So one clue here is that this began immediately after I replaced my Y-axis Pillow Blocks. At that same time, I adjusted the Z-stop switches on the rods by loosening the nuts and pushing them to where I thought they looked even and seated nicely...I decided to also attempt a manual bed level after doing all of that. SO.... I changed the file that I was having a problem printing to a different file that I know was a good file. Ive printed this file AT LEAST 25 times consecutively with no issues. WELL, just now that good file had an issue. The brim layer printed good as usual. THEN the first several passes around my part printed well, UNTIL it got to the first layer of infill. The nozzle moves up in Z one layer and starts printing infill in mid-air, and every layer after that the nozzle moves up prints in air, and up and so on....My guess is that I screwed up the adjustment on the Z-stop switches. What do you think???

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe. Take a look at this video and see if that offers any insight ... you want the Z switches to operate as close together as possible.