1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.9 Release for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bradf80, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I spent a few hours getting my firmware updated to 1.1.9 latest bugfix version for the R1+ and I would like to share it here but it keeps saying the file is too large. It's only 5mb . Doesn't make sense. I will share it on the Robo3d owners facebook page and I can share a link to filedropper for now.

It is setup for a reprapdiscount basic LCD so you will have to change the configuration.h if you have another LCD controller.

I haven't fully tested it other than doing the bed leveling so if there are any issues let me know and I will try and figure them out.

http://www.filedropper.com/marlinr1bugfix-119

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Are you zipping the source? Make sure you only zip the Marlin directory and remove the Examples subdirectory.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is the entire GITHUB pull apparently, I will try to fiddle with it later.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Attached

Attached Files:

Bradf80 and WheresWaldo like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Bradf80 likes this.
  6. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Has anyone else installed this firmware? Just looking for feedback to see if it's working proper on the printer. So far it's working great on my machine. No issues that are related to anything I did.

The only issue I've had is with the manual editing of the mesh. After it probes the Z height sometimes it will be too high and other times it will be spot on while editing the mesh. So what I had to do as I was editing was see how far I had to adjust it manually. If it was way out, I would back out of the edit and go back into it. This only seemed to happen when I was using the manual edit with the graphic on the LCD that showed the position.

Not sure why it does that. I looked on the marlin site and it is a known bug.

Other than working through that; everything else seems functional that I have encountered.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Bradf80 after you are satisfied with the mesh, go to a terminal / OctoPrint and issue a G29 T0 or a M420 V to save the mesh values. Cut and paste them to a text file and create a G-Code file with the numbers. That way you can redo the mesh between firmware updates with ease.

Bradf80, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

R1+ here, I had intermittent problems with the right z motor locking up. I think it was during the use of the pause command, I got the motor buzz a few times and my horizontal rods were going cockeye. I reverted to marlin 1.1.1 ABL, it just works and works for me. If you are new to MESH bed leveling, (as was I) remember to prepare your eeprom (it's on the LCD) and SAVE MESH after every step.

9. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I'm going to look into this! Thanks for the feedback.

I was also having an issue with the right stepper on the z axis. I thought it was the driver though. I replaced the driver then banged out a few nice prints and thought it was fine.

I just went and ran the z up and down a few times after your post and it went out of alignment again so I believe it's an issue in the firmware.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not likely.
    However whatever makes you feel good :)
    That is more likely that not one stepper driver putting out less current than the other. This is why them using two Z stepper drivers is ... dumb. The RAMPS does not require that, you can use a single Z stepper driver for both (they just didn't).

11. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Confirmed firmware issue. Just loaded 1.1.0 on, leveled and have no issues with the right stepper. Now to find the glitch in the firmware.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, bear in mind that on the R1+ (not the R1) the Z steppers are attached one to the Z axis and one to the second extruder (one stepper to each) so the PINS.H probably needs to reflect that or they have it configured elsewhere.

(I still maintain this is a silly way to go and having two steppers on the Z driver is actually how the RAMPS was designed.)

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  13. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

hey ive tried multiple versions of marlin from 1.1.1 to 1.1.9 and i keep running into the same issue using any firmware other than the one supplied by robo. every print ignores any z offset i create using m851 and basicly prints with the endstops fully extended. ive tried googling the new bed options to find out if im missing something but i dont seem to be making any progress. i ran the mesh UBL system saved it following a link from the marlinfw org website

14. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

also im using octopi for my prints and not a lcd controller

15. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Put the prefix in manually...

community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/revamped-m565-z-offset-set-it-and-forget-it.4748/

You can query M565 to make sure the height is what you want. I bet your slicer is adding it's own code to set the Z and it is overriding yours.

I am using marlin 1.1.1 mesh now. No troubles. Robo r1+

#15 3dfun4me, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  16. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

after upgrading the firmware i only have the m851, i used m565 with the old firmware and only using m565 in the gcode to recall the eeprom variable i did however notice when using (i cant recall the exact mcode for displaying all eeprom settings it was earlier today) it would show the m851 offset and also showed another one as not being set, but it doesnt have the mcode with it. i tried the m565 again but it just ignores the command

17. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Forgot that m565 was phased out. I still think that your slicer is adding it's own code to set the Z and it is overriding yours. Check your gcode file in a text editor and see if any z related commands are in it.

18. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

trust me its not i use simplify3d and like i said the only gcode it has for the zoffset was "m565;" works fine with the old firmware, but "m851;" does not work the same ive always used eeprom to store my z offset

19. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Ps.... CAPS ONLY FOR ALL COMMANDS, my terminal program converts lower case to upper case and it makes me lazy.

20. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

G28 ; home all axes

G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 2mm

M851;

m565;

G29 ; run auto-level
    this is my current gcode with the old firmware and it works fine with s3d in lowercase typically running a print right now using that gcode with the old firmware