1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed heater output stuck "on''

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jim K, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim K

Jim K Member

The heater output on my (Kickstarter Robo version) Arduino board no longer de-energize so I had to disconnected the heater. Does anyone know if this a common board failure, or is it worth reloading the firmware before I condemn the board?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like you blew the mosfet.

3. Jim K

Jim K Member

Man, I hate it when that happens. :(
    Any recommendations on which version of board replacement I should get?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or, do both :)
    Then you have a spare.

2 people like this.
  6. Jim K

Jim K Member

As I wait for my new Ramps board to arrive (on a slow boat from China) I went ahead and replaced the suspect mosfet. Unfortunately, the problem appears to be deeper. With the wires disconnected the heater output only measures 6vdc, regardless if the heater output is triggered or not. So, before I pop in the new ramps board can someone confirm what the nominal resistance of the heater should be? Mine is around 1.5 ohms.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

8. Jim K

Jim K Member

Nope. My 14A polyfuse is good and I have 12v at LED2 at all times. All the resistors in that circuit are good too. Geeze, I hope it's not the Arduino board because didn't order a replacement (yet).

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well that's an easy test. Unplug the arduino and see if it heats up. You can also measure the pin power coming off D8 and see if you're getting 5v.

LED 2 would to me indicate that the mosfet is still bad, though 6v (maybe 7?) would indicate that 12v is jumped to 5v to give a logic of 7v between them.

10. Jim K

Jim K Member

It's possible I overheated the new mosfet while soldering. In hind sight I wish I'd taken voltage readings before reconnecting the heater. That's why I asked about nominal heater resistance. I just want to feel confident that the heater itself wasn't the roof cause of the mosfet failure.

Today when I fired it up cold I measured 8.7v (D8 to +). I do have 3 extra mosfets, so... but I think for now I'll just wait for my replacement RAMPS and put my manual toggle switch back in series with the heater.

Thanks Mike

3 people like this.
  11. Jim K

Jim K Member

So, my cheapo replacement Ramps board is junk and I tried another new mosfet in the original board but no luck. I see a lot of Arduino/RAMPS combinations out there. Can anyone recommend a reliable and affordable replacement set?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The ones I got from SainSmart worked:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Printer-controller-Mega2560-Mega1280/dp/B00E8A0FYY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419260689&sr=8-2&keywords=ramps 1.4

In fact I just bought the kit with the Arduino Mega and the RAMPS 1.4 (both worked).

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Printer-Mega2560-Arduino-RepRap/dp/B00J1F40WO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419260689&sr=8-4&keywords=ramps 1.4

(totally off-the-subject, but in my case it was not a RAMPS or Arduino problem, but I swapped them anyway)

13. Jim K

Jim K Member

Thanks Mark. Did you bump up the size of your F2 polyfuse (to 14A) and/or the Q3 mosfet? I've only printed PLA so far but like to run the bed around 60c, which I was doing when the board(s) failed. Someday I'd like to give ABS a shot someday...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I bought the replacement mosfets and fuses and... they are still sitting in a box.
    I have not had an issue with them yet. The problem I had was not really a problem with the electronics at all, but as part of troubleshooting it I swapped the stock boards out (they are now the spares). A cooling fan was enough to keep me from ever tripping the polyfuses. Mind you , I mounted it right beside the fuses exhausting out.

For what it is worth I have run the bed as hot as 110. Takes a while to get there, but never a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.