1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed noise during self leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Arnold, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

A few weeks ago this problem started, right around the time I purchased Simplify 3D. When the printer goes through it's self leveling, and the bed moves to the frontmost position (assuming switch is on the back of the printer) it hits it's end stop and makes a heck of a noise. This happens with Cura, Simplify, and Matter Control. Last night I finally d/led the Arduino 1.6.9 and the R1+ firmware from this link (https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000717071-Updating-firmware-with-Arduino) but this still did not solve the issue. I've had this printer for well over a year, and have gone through probably 15 rolls of PLA with very few issues.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if its hitting the switch and keeps going (sound like thats whats happening?) you may have a defective switch or maybe the blade came off the switch. Lift the glass bed off the magnets and have a peek (take pictures)

3. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Waiting for the warm up period to end, but when I lifted the bed I discovered the bracket that holds the ribbon cable lost it's screw and was just floating. I re-attached (with tape temporarily) and .... drumroll please ... nope.. still making the same noise. The switch at the front is in place and both wires are connected. I'll put a meter on the switch tomorrow and see if it's gone bad. I'm heading out the door for the evening now.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the home switch is how it knows its home, either something is catching (maybe a belt is loose skipping teeth on the gear, etc) but if it hits the home switch and continues to move towards home your home switch, wiring, or the ramps board (board stack inside the bottom of the printer) is bad and you'll need to test to find which one.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly. Look up under it and make sure the switch is actually getting thrown... anything in the way or out of position and it will not throw the switch.

6. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

It turns out that the ribbon cable was catching as the bed moved forward. I re-routed it and all is well. Thanks for your help everyone!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.