1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Bed not heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nicola Gibson, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicola Gibson

Nicola Gibson New Member

Hi
    I have been reading about replacing the ramps board as my heatbed has stopped working. Im reasonably sure the thermistor is fine because it's reading the ambient temperature okay and all the connectors look alright.
    I haven't fiddled with anything lately so there is a chance something might have dropped out due to gravity but not through tinkering.

Just to be clear - does the ramp refer to the whole board - the arduino? If so (only having programmed an arduino a couple of times) what code do I use for it?

If it's not that - I guess it just leaves the actual bit which heats it up but having had a look I'm not feeling very confident about that either because there are things which need ungluing!

Thank you in advance...

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not the Arudino unless its bad. The ramps board comes off the arduino. If you have a R1+ it is NOT plug and play. If you have a R1 it IS plug and play.

Use a multimeter (continuity) to check the heater itself at the wires at the ramps board. Should beep (closed connection).
    Use a multimeter to check the thermistor (100K if stock). Ohms settings. (if its reading room temp fine like you say, its likely fine).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Nicola Gibson

Nicola Gibson New Member

Thank you both - typically (although I am pleased) after some poking about it fired into life. I don't know how long for but I think that suggests connections rather than something more sinister?

The initial reason I was poking about was because I seem to be getting a Y shift of about 1mm - quite big. I can feel that the bed has sticky spots when I move it manually. If I tighten the belts (having read other posts) will this help? Its definitely sticking not slipping so that seems counter intuitive! However, there are a couple or 3 spots as I push it back and forth where I feel resistance.
    Thank you so much for your time. It's not and R1 it's the one before that....

5. Nicola Gibson

Nicola Gibson New Member

Hello again - Just a quick up date
    I've loosen everything, cleaned, lubricated and re-tightened. It's all feeling much better. Fingers crossed.
    Thank for your time - Hopefully I won't need any more help for a bit! :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The bed heater connection on the R1+ board is to a connector (it can come undone or loose). I would pull that green connector and make sure it isn't charred or black. If no, continue on :D Loose connection. If it is or looks melty I'd strongly suggest replacing the ramps board. :D

Glad you have it working! Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.