1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bed not heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sofiadragon1979, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofiadragon1979

I don't know what is up I've already contacted ROBO about another issue but I thought that I'd check here on this one first. So as the title says, my bed isn't heating does anyone have any ideas as to why not.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it report a temperature? Is the connector lose? Is there damage to the ramp board?

3. sofiadragon1979

In order of questions, yes, no, no. I have also felt the bed itself & it is cold as a normal piece of glass.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

When you enable power to the bed does the D8 LED light up?

5. sofiadragon1979

Yeah the LED's light up & the fans start up like normal, but when I tell the bed to heat up it doesn't do anything @ all.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's an LED on the ramps board. It's probably green:
    [​IMG]

Where it says D10, D9, D8 on the board if you look to the right of that there's Q3, to the right of that is 3 solder pads, one of those is the D8 LED that indicators there's 12v to the bed.

You could also measure with a multimeter on the 11A terminal of the connector to see if there's 12v coming in. Though I'm guessing you may not have a multimeter.

7. sofiadragon1979

This is what I have when I turn it on, I'm not sure if that is all of the LEDs that are supposed to be on or not so I figured showing you would be a good idea. 001.JPG 002.JPG

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's correct yes.

So we know the electronics is working. Next step is following the wire from D8 to the bed and see where the disconnect is

9. sofiadragon1979

I made sure all the connections are connected properly & now it won't go past 26 on bed temp, it's like it gets up to it & then it drops down & then hovers around 25.3 or so, this is really annoying 'cause I can't afford to blow $90 on a new bed.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

A multimeter is like 5 bucks. Use it to measure wire continuity

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Find a HarbourFreight nearby and you might even get one for less. Good tool to have.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, and do this continuity measuring with the power OFF (just sayin')

13. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mark
    When you do the continuity test what reading should you be seeing from the bed. Do you set the multimeter to ohms, then just check what resistance you get back from the bed.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would start by measuring continuity of the wires (close to zero ohms) from the bed to the RAMPS.
    I am not certain what the resistance of the bed heater would be (if you read across the heater wires).

Just read from the bed to the ramps across each wire individually -- that should be a straight shot and near zero.

If it is not then you have a loose connection in the wire loom. Tearing that apart is a pain which is why reading the resistance is good -- you might not need to dismantle it.

15. Robert Choban

Mark, I disconnect the wire from the heated bed and from the ramps card. I then checked the wire from the connector on the heated bed back to the ramps card with a multimeter, and found no short or other problems. I then check the wires going into the heated bed, show about 1.2 to 1.4 ohms, does this sound correct? I check both the thermistor wires and the heater wirers and they do not show any problems.

I have burn out 2 mosfet on ramps cards trying bring up the temp on the bed to 40-60C, no higher. This is my last Ramps card and I don't want to blow out the mosfet.

Is there some way I can check out the Ramps card heater output and check to see if the thermistor is working without blowing out the mosfet.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It does sound like the bed heater might have failed--just based on behavior, not the resistance... that sounds normal.

You could put a fuse inline with the connection from the RAMPS to the bed (to prevent it from drawing too much current and potentially damaging the RAMPS*).

As far as the thermistor is concerned you can see that it reports room temperature correctly and then manually heat it (with a hair dryer or the like) and see that it goes up. I wouldn't use an actual heat gun though -- just a hair dryer :)

*that D8 connector is rated at 11 A max, use a lower value fuse if you really want to be safe -- say 8-10 amps.

17. Robert Choban

Mark
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.

18. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

This happened to me too, check that there is no broken wire between the bed and the board. With the movement pf the bed, I had a wire break inside the insulation, hard to see.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Broken wire would read an open circuit, not : 1.2 to 1.4 ohms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.