1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed wires dislodging

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peter Krska, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Is there a way to reattach the bed wires? I am using a crude method using kapton tape to keep the wires adhering to the bed. This is not a solution.

The wires are being held on with some red stuff. When applying slight pressure I get contact and the bed heats up.

My prints have been shutting down because the bed temp drops. It due to this loose connection

I also found that my old version of Repetier Host is printing but latest version of Cura will not. Strange.

I was able to set Repetier for PLA no heated bed and it worked. Cura, setting the bed temp to 0, still produced the error, mintemp

Repetier is going strong. I taped the wires down temporarily and my bed is heating. But I need to somehow affix them to the bed better.

Any ideas, solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is likely a high-temp epoxy or RTV -- something like that. I'll let someone else who is more certain comment.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need a really powerful soldering gun to heat up the PCB enough to solder onto it. No matter what I did with my 900W pen iron it wouldn't stay soldered.

R3D might sell you a replacement if you ask nice

5. Peter Krska

My Ultimaker is having temperature problems. I get a mintemp or maxtemp error.
    If you get one of this error messages it means that your Ultimaker is not able to register the temperature properly. A ‘mintemp’ error means that the Ultimaker thinks the temperature is too low (< 5C) and a ‘maxtemp’ error means the temperature is too high (> 300C). In both cases this is most likely caused by a loose connection of one of the wires. Therefore, please check the connection of all the wires on top of the printhead and the connection of these wires on the electronics board. It is recommeded to disconnect them and plug them in again to be sure that there is a proper connection. After having turned your Ultimaker on again, check if the error message has disappeared. If not, you can get in touch with our Support team for further help.

I keep getting this error using CURA now. MC also stops during printing. Repetier seems to stop once in a while. I am able to get my bed heating up by putting a bed clip I found on Thingyverse. I wonder if it's a short in one of the connection wires and it is intermittent because it is not always shorting out. When it does short, the print stops with an error.

Where on the Extruder is the wires responsible for moving x, y, z, axis. When I do have an issue, I notice that I am able to HOME, but moving LEFT or RIGHT or UP and DOWN does not work. But manually moving it to the centre then homing. it goes HOME.
    I cannot continue even if restarting the print program until I reboot.

What would cause that? I reboot and it goes back to normal. Printing away until I start another print and all hell breaks loose. It's like a virus, stricking once in a while. Fustrating. What happened? I was printing everyday no problem. Did a few updates and one day, it hit, and has been hitting since.

Could the USB cable be at fault?

Could it be the Adrino Software version? I have the latest. 1.7 or something.

Could it be a loose connection on the Extruder or RAMPS board? Which wires to test, thermister or other? I moved the wires around and did not notice any changes or even interruption. The wires seem sound.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It sounds like a thermistor issue so check the wiring to them and the thermistor readings while moving the wires about.
    Bad/Flakey thermistor (one that maybe has a crack in it--they are fragile) or a loose/intermittent connection between it and the RAMPS board.

7. Peter Krska

Regarding replacing the thermister, is it a matter of just soldering the wires to the two end and your done? I can get a thermister near me. Are they all the same?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

100k thermistor. You need to know the brand since the configuration.h will need to be adjusted to match the curve. The different manufacturers have different calibration curves and Marlin knows how to handle that.

Look in the configuration.h and you can see the models/brands listed.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is what I mean:

// 0 is not used
    // 1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)
    // 2 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (4.7k pullup)
    // 3 is mendel-parts thermistor (4.7k pullup)
    // 4 is 10k thermistor !! do not use it for a hotend. It gives bad resolution at high temp. !!
    // 5 is 100K thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (4.7k pullup)
    // 6 is 100k EPCOS - Not as accurate as table 1 (created using a fluke thermocouple) (4.7k pullup)
    // 7 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAG-J01 (4.7k pullup)
    // 71 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAF-J01 (4.7k pullup)
    // 8 is 100k 0603 SMD Vishay NTCS0603E3104FXT (4.7k pullup)
    // 9 is 100k GE Sensing AL03006-58.2K-97-G1 (4.7k pullup)
    // 10 is 100k RS thermistor 198-961 (4.7k pullup)
    // 60 is 100k Maker's Tool Works Kapton Bed Thermister
    //
    // 1k ohm pullup tables - This is not normal, you would have to have changed out your 4.7k for 1k
    // (but gives greater accuracy and more stable PID)
    // 51 is 100k thermistor - EPCOS (1k pullup)
    // 52 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (1k pullup)
    // 55 is 100k thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (1k pullup)

My E3D came with a #5 (ATC Semitec 104GT-2) if memory serves...

10. Peter Krska

Did another print using an old version of Repetier host and this is what I saw during printing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Strange rise and dip in the temp at one point. Your right, Seems as though the thermistor is going in the print head. Not dead yet but showing signs of anomalies.

[​IMG]
    So far it's still printing but after 6 months of use, things are starting to fail.

Oops, down spike
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

#10 Peter Krska, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member