1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bed won't level

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sentec, Jan 9, 2016.

1. sentec

sentec New Member

Hey guys, I just got my Robo R1 Plus yesterday. Out of the box, the X-Axis was visibly off kilter. I'd say about 3/4" variance between the two sides. Anyways, I leveled it as best I could using the paper method. For the life of me, I cannot get a level print. The left side of the barely print sticks to the bed, but it doesn't smash it like it should. The right side is just perfect. What am I missing here? Is it possible my auto-level is not working properly, bad switch or something? I contacted tech support last night, and they weren't very much help. They kind of seemed annoyed about the call.

#1 sentec, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. sentec

sentec New Member

Attaching pictures

Attached Files:

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Search for "Paper Level" on this site to find instructions on how to get it close mechanically. After that the auto-bed-level will have less to do.

4. sentec

sentec New Member

I did the paper leveling, it didn't help at all.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Send a G29 in terminal and post your results.

6. sentec

sentec New Member

<-Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.50
    <-Bed x: 110.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.67
    <-Bed x: 205.00 y: 20.00 z: -1.11
    <-Bed x: 205.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.26
    <-Bed x: 110.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.89
    <-Bed x: 15.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.82
    <-Bed x: 15.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.60
    <-Bed x: 110.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.72
    <-Bed x: 205.00 y: 230.00 z: -1.00
    <-Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: -0.00 d: -0.55
    <-planeNormal x: 0.00 y: 0.00 z: 1.00
    <-ok
    <-echo:endstops hit: Z:-1.00

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those numbers seem alright. You might be best just adjusting your Z offset and ignoring it.

Give this a watch though:

8. sentec

sentec New Member

Mike, have you tried printing a large object that reaches from the left side of the bed to the right? If so, does yours not do this? A coworker just got the Robo R1 Plus and is having the same exact problem. I can't get the left side to stick, but the right side smashes. If I adjust the Z offset anymore, it has problems extruding on the right side.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I blame it on the robo3d autoleveling method not being very precise or reliable. I'm not a huge fan of it.

10. sentec

sentec New Member

Well I appreciate your help anyways. I figured out a solution though. I do the autolevel with 4 pieces of paper stacked on the right side of the bed, then take the paper off when it starts to print. Would be nice if we could have a compensation in the firmware somewhere where we can say to always print a little lower on the left side.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The newest version of marlin has an option where you can manually define the bed levelness using the LCD control panel. It's very nice and would stop the whole autolevel imbalance issue that the robo has. Granted you need an LCD so it's not for everyone.

What some people do is put some shims under their magnets (paper hole punch circles work well) to manually tram the bed, then disabling G29 in the startup g-code to not use autoleveling. Seems to be a better approach if you're printing large objects IMO

12. sentec

sentec New Member

Actually, I got a LCD for mine. I'm installing it when I get home tonight. Is it just an option in the LCD settings? Do I need to somehow update the marlin firnware?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Correct, @WheresWaldo has been doing a great job keeping a latest version of Marlin up to date for the Robo, you can see his progress here:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-1-0-release-candidate-3-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/

We discuss the Manual Leveling trigger here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...elease-candidate-3-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-8

If you let us know which version of the Robo3D R1 you're running (Plus, M8, etc) we can help configure the firmware for you

14. sentec

sentec New Member

Awesome!

I have the Robo R1 Plus

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you go with the XXL lcd or the full graphics?

16. sentec

sentec New Member

I got the XXL

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@sentec, normally Marlin supports the XXL and any of the 20 character x 4 line displays by default, but since I use the Full Graphics controller my thread has the firmware set up for that one, it is easy to change it back for the XXL. The menus are exactly the same other than the fact that the full graphics is a bit prettier in the info screen and can display a few more lines of the menu at any given time.

18. sentec

sentec New Member

Where can I find the full graphics LCD? In the meantime can you point me to the firmware I need? Thanks!

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Mike Kelly already did above. Full Graphics is this one: full-graphic-smart-lcd-controller.jpg
    It and/or it's clones are available all over the place; eBay, Banggood, AliExpress, Amazon and various other resellers.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Here's the firmware for the R1+ with XXL Smart Controller

Attached Files: