1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

belt tensioning

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DavidR, Jan 14, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

My belts are broken in. I bought a spring loaded belt tensioner but I can't seem to find anywhere to put it where it wont cause problems. At best it hits the parallel bars the extruder is attached to which would be quite annoying. Are there other solutions for this?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@DavidR the belts do not get tensioned and those spring tensioners will not work. If the belts are slack you need to square the gantry.

What issues are you having that make you think the belts are a problem?

3. DavidR

DavidR Member

@Geof Interesting. Ok, I am fairly new to this. I was reading a book on 3d printing maintenance and it said that after awhile one needs to adjust the belt tension on 3d printers, I feel like I saw a reply from you to another thread mentioning that they should "twang" when tensioned properly. I may be mistaken. Is this something one needs to do for the R1 and C2 but not the R2?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

r1 series. R2 c2 are different beasts, no issue just let em run. Much less tinkering than the R1 series and most I3 style printers

5. DavidR

DavidR Member

@Geof Also, this may be relevant, if I am standing directly in front and looking down from above, the right side of the uppermost 8mm rod closest to me (i.e. closest to screen door), it is not directly attached to the frame of the printer. All other three corners will remain stiff if I pull up and down on them, this corner freely moves vertically. Is that normal?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No not normal, sounds like the shaft fell out of the bearing. Please take some photos and I can help you out more confidently :)

7. DavidR

DavidR Member

@Geof Ok. You'll have to zoom in. I think this may be the problem, the little ring sticking out from the white frame is flush against the wall on WP_20180114_20_20_39_Pro.jpg the other side of the rod.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Push that back in. The red circled part is your bearing. 20180114_203513.jpg

DavidR likes this.