1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Blobs and stringing on prints - searched, calibrated, still no solution

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by theman00011, Jan 1, 2016.

1. theman00011

theman00011 Member

So I have been facing this problem for a while and have been searching the forums and calibrating, everything I can find, to no avail. The problem is that on small to medium prints (large prints have pretty much no issue) there's large blobs and stringing all over it. (See pictures) I have lowered the temperature for the filament I am using which is 195 for PLA/PHA from Colorfabb to the lowest recommended temperature. The one on the left is at 210 degrees and on the right is 195. It helped a tiny amount but it isn't the source of the problem. I have double checked the E steps per mm and it extrudes to the 100mm mark perfectly every time. I am using Cura if that matters much. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am at a loss for ideas and I really want to print small objects. Thanks[​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either lower the overall print speed or set a minimum print time per layer.
    Also make sure the fan is running 100% after the first couple of layers.

I suspect on small objects you are not giving the previous layer time to cool and harden before laying a new layer over it.

This also explains why larger objects are better. The layer is cooled before it starts putting more plastic on top.

Truerobotech likes this.
  3. theman00011

theman00011 Member

I have the minimum time per layer set to 10 seconds and the speed to 60 mm/s but I will slow it down and try again.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10 seconds is pretty fast for a smaller layer. Try 30... you need to give the plastic time to set.

5. theman00011

theman00011 Member

I tried at a slower speed and it helped a tiny bit but not much. I will change the layer time to 30 seconds and try again. Could it be a retraction problem or a stepper motor skipping or stalling?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Retraction can help to a point -- in this case it might reduce the stringing.
    Retraction helps you prep a non-print move by removing the filament so it doesn't string.
    Not seeing this as a stepper issue either if your larger prints work. If the larger prints had the same issue then something more fundamental would be at issue.

No, I think it is just a scale problem. As you scale down the print other factors are affecting the heat management.

7. theman00011

theman00011 Member

That is true. It turned a 6 minute print into a 30 minute print but I will let you know how it turns out and if it's any better after it finishes. Thank you for the help.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You'll want to experiment with the minimum layer time ... if 10 was too fast, 30 might be overly slow :)
    Good luck.

9. theman00011

theman00011 Member

There appears to be less strings but the blobs are still there. The crack on the wall is from taking the print off the bed, probably poor layer adhesion from the low extruder temperature. I am still at a loss for how to fix these blobs and it is killing me.[​IMG]

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have you checked the eStep calibration? Given that it is smaller minor variances in extrusion will have more effect.
    It is easy and fairly quick to test.

EDIT: Yes, I re-read you said you did this...crud ;)

11. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Yep, E steps extrudes exactly 100mm when told to. Maybe it is the USB connection. My computer has been slow lately and maybe it is causing it to pause briefly. Can you use a SD card without the LCD controller?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, you can. Copy the GCode to the SD card and load it in the card reader (under the printer -- PITA without an LCD).
    Then launch the print from the SD card (which I can show you how to do with Simplify3D and one picture, never tried it with the others).

13. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Yeah, I found how to do it. But the more I thought about it, it probably isn't the USB because it would have showed up on 5+ hour prints.

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

So many things it could be, and it's frustrating, we know. It's not really a printer it is a small manufacturing plant, so you have to think differently. Try adding a bit of retraction and retraction hop, play with extrusion multiplier, try a different manufacturer of filament. There is no one answer, sorry I can't be more specific than that.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. theman00011

theman00011 Member

I understand it could me a multitude of problems. I just needed some suggestions on things to try because I was out of ideas. I will give those a shot and see if they help.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Retraction is a really good one.
    I have struggled with this sort of thing on ABS, but not so much with PLA.

17. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Right now my retraction setting in Cura is

Speed: 40 mm/s
    Distance: 3mm
    Minimum Travel: 15mm
    Minimal extrusion before retracting: 0.02mm
    Z hop when retracting: .5mm

Does everything seem about right with those?

18. Trama

Trama Member

Not sure if this applies to cura but I found that with matterslice that the extruder retraction speed is also used for re-extrusion at the start of the next line. So if the speed is to high it just dumps out a large amount of filament at the first pass. Check and see if that is the case. When I reduced the retraction speed it went away completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. theman00011

theman00011 Member

That seemed to have helped quite a bit. There are still some blobs on the corners but reducing the retraction speed appears to have eliminated a lot of them. Thanks

20. Trama

Trama Member

The matter control web site has a calibration block file and is a real quick print to use when checking settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk