1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bottom Layers seperated

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

My printer appears to be working fine, but the bottom layers on every print (even on high quality) are wide layers that are not touching... It appears to work things out as it gets to the higher layers. I even have the bottom layers set to print at 200 % and they print larger, but still do not touch... is there a setting I am missing for this? As you can see in the pic, I turned the cube on its side, so the bottom is facing the camera... Notice the rough layers? After those, the side layers seemed ok though... any hint?

[​IMG]

#1 wthierry, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Add multiple top/bottom layers. I think the default is 2, go for 4 or 5.
    This is a slicer issue and I don't use Matter Control so I don't have any real suggestions on what to tweak in the settings other than the layer count. That will help seal it up.

You could try another slicer.

3. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

any suggestions on the slicer? Im familiar with Slic3r from my last printer, but never used anything else...

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, there are a lot of choices. On the free side you could use Cura, MatterSlicer, Slic3r, Kisslicer, Skienforge (and likely others I have forgotten).
    All of which work fine -- I have had issues with specific models on most, but switching to a different one would often work. Now I use Simplify3D (not free) and I have never even had to think about the slicer much since. If the free ones work, use those and save the dollars.

5. Jochem Timmermans

Jochem Timmermans New Member

Your not alone in when it comes to this problem wthierry, seems I'm having difficulties with my slicers as well.

Using Mattercontrol and then the matterslicer, seem too work fine couple a days ago. But not it seems to use the infill settings for the first layer.
    Instead of a solid fill.

Elephant.jpg

Tried repetier host with the curaEngine, but having difficulties with the extrusion, or better said it won't extrude. Gears are running the right way.

Attached Files:

6. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

hmm, will play with the settings a bit.... But maybe will check out simpligy3d and see how that does

7. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Does Simplify work with the auto leveling function? might be worth a try

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since the auto-leveling can be done with the printer firmware... I don't see why not. You would add the correct GCode sequence to your startup GCode and it would add that to every print at the beginning.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like you need to reduce your offset a but to smush the layer more

10. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

marked at resolved, just because its a slicer issue... fiddling with things usually can address it.

11. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

where do you change the offset in settings after using the auto leveling option?

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You shouldn't be using the Automatic Printer Leveling and should disable it.

In slicer settings with show all settings options go Printer > Custom G-Code

in the M565 spot change Z0 to something like Z-1.0

You might need to calibrate that number a bit, but 1 is a good starting point.

13. Jochem Timmermans

Jochem Timmermans New Member

Don't know if you fixed your problem yet wthierry ? And don't know if ours are the seems.

But the gaps or separated bottom layers where caused in my projects by a wrong setting in the slice configuration.

Needed to go to slice settings -> advanced -> and needed to put first layer to 0.

It then gave me a neat solid bottom layer with no rough egdes anymore.

With regerds to Jerry of the Robo3d team, how pointed me to this novice mistake.

Oh and before I forget,

Happy new year.

14. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Thanks guys for the tips!!! Happy new year to you too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.