1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Bridging Issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Nov 23, 2017.

1. astro boy

astro boy Member

I've been trying to print this jet at 300% of it's normal size. It prints well at smaller scale, but I'm having difficulty with the windows. I don't want to use infill because I'd like it to be hollow. It seems to need support from the inside, Is this where bridging comes in? I have tried to add support externally and it does add support to the windows but not all and very random support. I'm sorry I'm a bit of a newbie at these things, but I'm trying to learn and trying sources on the web as well. I just can't seem to find the answer there.
    I've attached a pic of the problem area. I've posted this over on the simplify forum, I'm using simplify 3d, but no replies so far. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• jet.jpg
      jet.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can manually add supports anywhere you can click on the model in Simplify3D so add some if you need

Yes, bridging is printing over a gap with no support and small gaps should be bridgeable if your filament settings are right for whatever filament you are using. You can bridge a LONG ways...

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Usually a couple of settings that make bridging more successful are speeding up extrusion for the bridge, turning on parts cooling fans to 100% during bridging. There are numerous bridging test models that can be downloaded from Thingiverse to help you fine tune your bridging settings. Most settings are found out by trial and error, since there are no universal types of settings that apply to all types of materials.

#3 WheresWaldo, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. astro boy

astro boy Member

I think I tried adding support to the inside of the model and it wouldn't work. So I guess I should play with my bridging settings to help it along the windows area. Ill try and cut the model to just one section of the windows as a test and yes I've seen the bridging model test as well, so I will download that. I'm really trying to avoid putting infill partly because I want to save time and plastic and possibly put lighting inside the model. thanks again for your answers. I will post again when I get some success in this area.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck. There are some excellent bringing models to test with. It is a balance between speed and temperature (and external cooling). You can on some filaments bridge for many inches :) What becomes difficult is that second pass over that first strand ...