1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Burning PLA and it's leaking onto my prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nuhertz, Apr 27, 2015.

1. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

I recently had the fan that blows on my heatsink for the hotend go bad, and Robo was nice enough to send me a new one with a new mount.

I've installed that, but can't find a good mount for the fan that blows at the extruder (need to print a fan duct for the stock hotend).

I've replaced that with just a desk fan for now, and now my prints are getting globs of burnt PLA all over them. It appears to be collecting on the square above the actual extrusion point, overheating, and falling onto the print.

My questions:
    Should the fan blow towards the heatsink or away from it? I currently am blowing towards.

Is it possible that the desk fan is making the thermistor read too low, causing the entire thing to overheat and drip PLA?

What else could be causing it, and how do I troubleshoot?

I should note I'm printing at the same temps with the same filament that has had successful prints. The only changes are the fans. It's possible they aren't the cause, and I just can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks!

#1 nuhertz, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like the heatbreak is leaking. This has been a problem on some of the Robo hexagons (they were not hot torqued correctly).
    In your case maybe it got loose when you swapped the hotend fan.

The fan on the hotend is the hotend fan, the one that blows on the stuff you are printing is the PARTS FAN.
    It is not critical, but helps with detail and finish.

3. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

If the heatbreak is the issue, how do I resolve that? Buy parts or is it just something that needs to be tightened?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

Thank you, I'll get to work on it tonight. It's so hard to know the right terms to find similar repairs.

Printed Solid likes this.
  7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

no worries, that's why we're here.