1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

C2 LCD Controller modification for the Beta/R1/R1+

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Mar 5, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It would work fine as long as you use the correct drivers with the LCD size you pick.

2. Aaron Lunger

Aaron Lunger New Member

So I'm only finally now getting caught up on this but I have a general question.....

I managed to have both a Raspberry Pi (Pi 2 actually) and a 5" display that is referenced here (for use with the R2 firmware).
    My problem is that when I attempt to update the firmware on the Pi, it just hangs and never seems to do anything.
    I'm running a much older version 1.5.x, that I managed to find here somewhere. It never seems to update, and even after letting it sit for an hour or two it never did anything.
    Of note right now, is I don't have the Pi connected to the printer, and I'm wondering if that is perhaps the reasoning behind it not working?

I guess the other question is....has anyone made a convenient housing to mount this to an R1 setup?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Having it hooked to the printer might matter, not sure. However you can start with a later rev of Pi image.

See if this one is not later: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51PXhcn1zZPcWxFVUtEOVFyZEE/view

If nothing else burning a new one might help. I am not sure how far back Robo lets them update. I stopped updating mine when they went to version 2.x since I didn't want to redo the dual extrusion stuff. Let me know if that helps, I can get you a copy of what I am using on my LCD boxes, they are all working (but like I said, not current Robo OS).

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for mounting.. I printed the box shown earlier in this thread and then used Velcro to mount it to the side :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As Waldo has documented in one of his R2 threads, there is not much they have added of real note to this since they first started. Some small tweaks, but nothing major. It still makes a lovely improvement to the R1/R1+ ... I just added Pi cameras to both of mine as well :)

6. Aaron Lunger

Aaron Lunger New Member

Yeah, thats my hope is to have them essentially be octopi's, but the Robo integration just gives it a more finished look in my opinion.
    Got a link for the R2 firmware? Or is there any real difference between the C2 and R2?
    For what it's worth, I am using the 5" HDMI touch display, which should be the same as the R2.

I guess as a small side note, since this is more of a controller for the whole printer, one could continue using the XXL display with and add this display as well, right?

Are the files for the box you printed listed anywhere or did you design it? That's mainly what I guess I'm asking. It looks clean, and even if it's just velcro'ed, I'm OK with that.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No difference in the RoboOS side of the machines. OctoPrint probably includes a slicer profile would be about all I can imagine and preconfigured size-wise for the R2. You can add your own profile.
    Yes, I still use a full graphics LCD on one and the RepRap discount on the other ... both with this LCD add on :)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We downloaded the case I show from Thingiverse, there are a number of choices. Since we used the 3.5" LCD (like what is on the C2) the case will be different, but there are a wide variety of cases for the Pi with the 5" LCD as well. Since the only connection to the printer is via the USB it is easy to mount.

Here is one example. Search around thingiverse -- there are a lot of options

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2287941

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The BarBot project we did was very similar and used a 5" LCD (it just didn't drive a printer, but the bar-mixer stuff) and that case would work too.