1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Can I print in 5C ambient temperature without a heatsink fan?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kaan, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaan

Kaan Member

Hi everyone

I haven't been posting on these forums for a while as my Robo 3D was in excellent working condition :)

I left my printer on when i was going to sleep, the fans worked for 8 hours doing nothing, I knew a heatsink fan failure was imminent, and it seems the fan indeed died in that time (It might have died before and I might have printed without it)

The thing is the attic that the printer is in is very cold, so cold that I use a 70C heated bed for PLA printing, otherwise it warps

Can I use the printer until the 3CM/5V fan I ordered locally arrives? (I've basically cut the fan off after I destroyed it while inspecting the issue, I could only find a 3CM fan replacement, hopefully it will fit, the width of the default fan seems to be >28mm<29mm)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The fan on the hotend? I would say no.
    The fan for parts cooling? Sure.
    The fan that cools the RAMPS board? Sure.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now, you are welcome to try it... the hotend fan (assuming you have a Hexagon or other all-metal hotend) keeps it from jamming by having the melt zone creep into the cold end... if it works you are fine, if not.. you have a clog to clear :)

4. Kaan

Kaan Member

The fan on the hotend :)

I guess I will try it anyway, I have a hunch it might work :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is pretty much safe to try it for any of them. Just expect that for the hotend fan you may get a jam or a clog to clear, for the parts fan you may get parts curling and for the RAMPS fan the polyfuse for the heated bed may trip*.

None are really fatal.

*some have had the mosfet toast itself, but if you are not using the heated bed none of that matters.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It will work for short parts, maybe 20-30 minutes. Any longer and you'll get heat creep causing the material to expand before reaching the melt zone and jamming, as mark said

I would suggest waiting for a new fan, or mounting a different fan to cool the heatsink.

7. Kaan

Kaan Member

Thanks for the inputs

I did manage to print a 70 minute part without issues, noticed some added friction while manual feeding, however the part printed without issues

Could only find an 30mm fan to replace the 25mm fan locally/online, I will cover the excess area and mount the larger fan to replace the failed one

I thought the plastic filaments would cause the fan to fail, however after inspecting the fan design (the rotor is contained, it seems hard for things to enter the fan), it seems the failure was electronical or balance related

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The extra 5mm may not affect the hotend. If you can mount it you are probably OK.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.