1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can't connect to printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Yngow, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yngow

Yngow New Member

I'll try to give you as many info as I can about my problem, so here's the long story:
    I bought a robo3D printer during my travel to the US (saving a lot of money from shipping and import taxes here in brazil), robo3d team was really supportive and made sure I got the printer in time, I got a broken bed and they replaced it asap (thank you Jerry). So in order to fit the printer in a travel bag I had to disassemble some parts, I got the heated bed that was shipped (so it was already separated), the base, the threaded rods and top part where the nozzle is located.
    Once I got here I assembled following the assembly videos on youtube closely but when I tried to plug it in the software didn't find any printers, I found a thread about how to fix this on windows 8.1 and did what the video said but still nothing, I also got a XXL lcd on printedsolid, pluged it in but I also get nothing on it (it turns on, kind of blinks and then stays that way, on with nothing on the screen). When I turn the printer on I can see the fans turning on so at least I know this part is ok lol.
    So anyone has any idea of how to fix this or how to find out what the problem could be? Only thing I can think of is that I may have plugged something on the wrong place in the board, only way to check this would be looking at a wiring diagram and then comparing with my board, anyone have an idea of where to find a diagram?

2. Yngow

Yngow New Member

I found out that some power cables were not well connected and now it kinda works via lcd screen, I can move X and Y axis but no Z or extruder. Also I still cannot connect it to my computer, even though is shows as Arduino 2560 but with no driver installed

3. Yngow

Yngow New Member

ok, sorry for going nuts without a need lol I got it sorted out, for the Z axis I just disconnected and reconnected the wired and it's now working, for the driver my fix was going to the aduino website and downloading the latest aduino software, after that I opened Repetier and it can connect to my printer properly (not sure why the robo3d software won't detect my printer).
    Still didn't print anything cause it's pretty late now but I tested all of the axis, heated bed and extruder and everything is working fine :)

4 people like this.
  4. Justin

Justin New Member

I am having this same issue, My computer will not detect my RoBo 3D I also have a XXL screen that does nothing when plugged in. I am thinking its the control board that h as the USB on it.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Disconnect the ramps board from the arduino, then try connecting to the arduino directly.

6. Justin

Justin New Member

I dont mean to be rude at any cost, but I just got this printer 2 days ago, could you elaborate a bit on what you mean? I'm not entirley sure what the ramps board is, or the ardunio. I will google it though. Thanks.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look underneath the printer. There is a silver power supply and a couple of circuit boards (one mounted on top of the other). Your usb cable actually plugs into the top one at this point.

The top one is the RAMPS board and the bottom one the Aurduino. What Mike is suggesting requires some disassembly.

(At this stage of development most 3D printers require a hobbyist level of knowledge to troubleshoot. They are not quite yet consumer grade products.) The folks on the forum here can walk you through it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.