1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't get Z low enough to print properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sliced Br3D, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

Even with Z-offset set to zero I still get squiggly lines for a skirt b4 I cancel the print.
    Looks like a fix might be to check the box "Z Can Be Negative" and keep decreasing the value as needed?
    Which brings another question to mind, can I actually set the value to tenths/hundredths mm, or have I been trying to in vain?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Where are you defining the Z offset? have you run the automatic printer configuration? Going negative is probably what you want but it depends on the slicer.

Are you homing correctly? http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Guide/Homing+Your+Extruder/7

Whats your g29 response codes from terminal?

2 people like this.
  3. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

I'm pretty sure I'm making progress FINALLY! Thanx to the help y'all offer on these forums :) Doing a test print now.
    I went to verify that I knew what the "automatic printer configuration" was, and long story short, all I did was disable the "Automatic Print Leveling" (conflicting leveling programs?) and reset the Z to 1mm (under slice settings>z offset).
    and, yes I get it home ok, and I have no clue wutza "g29 response code from terminal"

I'll confess - I'm brand new to this 3D printing stuff - a lot more to it than @ 1st glance ;)
    (but it's still the coolest thing since sliced bread!)

2 people like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>I have no clue wutza "g29 response code from terminal<
    Send the G29 (in the terminal window*) and see what the printer responds with.

*(where this is depends on the software you are using for the printer)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

yeah that automatic printer level calibration will conflict with any offsets. Terminal window is kinda like a log window, shows what commands have been sent to the printer and gets temperature responses. Sorta like a chat window between the computer and arduino.

http://www.matterhackers.com/articles/mattercontrol-guide-to-the-terminal

G29 is the autolevel code that runs at the beginning of the print. They paint a good picture of what the arduino received from the autolevel routine.

A lot of my responses are quick snippets while I wait for my program to respond. Sometimes they require some extra googling depending on how much the user knows

2 people like this.
  6. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

It helped me figure out what to search for - BIG HELP! Sorry I didn't get back sooner -
    disabling the auto level got the z low enough to get my first successful test print (PLA bridge cube @ aprox 27mm), so then I started a more intricate print, which other than a new issue (maybe a new thread on that) printed fine :)
    (and I found the Gcode Terminal) ;)

A relevant question would be - what if I thought I needed to drop the z a little more, is that possible? Could I go by .1mm increments?

Other than that, I'd say issue resolved, thanx again for the help!

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well a step on M8 is 1/2560mm So that's the minimum increment you can work at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.