1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Clogged extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Luis Alberto, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Luis Alberto

Luis Alberto Member

Greetings again. I got the thermistor that I broke, so thanks for your support. Now I have another problem, after I changed the thermistor, made a few prints with a pretty good quality, the printer was working well, but now the extruder cloggs after the first layer. . What seems to be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi is it pla. Are you using an oiler ?

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Did you remove the nozzle to clean it?
    I bought a 6 pack (or a 5 pack) of nozzles from amazon for a reasonable price. Cheap enough that if it takes more than 15 minutes to clean a clog it's cheaper to toss the old one and put a new nozzle on.

If you did take the nozzle off to clean it, you may possibly be pulling some grung into the extruder with the filament. I have dogs and cats and although there may be debate on the merits of the oiler, at the end it makes a wonderful lint, dust and pet hair filter.

I will not run any filament without an oiler. Funny thing, since installing my oiler, I have not had a single jam. Hmmmm. (now watch Karma come knocking)

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  4. Richard Shank

Richard Shank New Member

Can you tell me:

1) How to determine what nozzle I have in my brand new Robo 3d R1+?

2) Where to get and how to install an oiler.

Please forgive my stupid questions. I've been 3d printing for about 2 weeks (and my nozzle is already jammed without having even printed the spool that came with my printer).

Thanks in advance.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You have an all metal hexagon hot end with a brass 0.4mm nozzle. Any nozzle compatible with an E3D V6 hotend also work with it.

Oilers are all over Thingiverse. I use this one since I use a spool holder that is top mounted.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724219

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Haha...@Geof your too quick tonight for me :)

Geof likes this.
  8. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Beat me to it but I'll agree, .4mm brass nozzle is what came with mine only about 8 months ago.

I bought some spares here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017OMRP5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure to look for "M6" in the description. I almost bought "MK8" until I checked here and was set straight.

The new nozzles are great and have real multiple flats to work a wrench on instead of the stock nozzle which has only 2 flats.

Don't forget to bring the nozzle up to full temp before taking it off.
    I didn't know that was required and I busted my wires and thermister but good my first jam. Which, by the way happened within the first day I started using it. So, don't feel alone.

As for the oiler, I printed this one:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1460566
    I put two pieces of fine celled foam in each half so they squeeze around the filament. I put a few small drops on both pieces of foam and it clam shells closed. It has a slider to secure it. Mine printed a bit loose on the clasp but it was quickly fixed with a couple of squeezes with the plyers to slightly deform the rail it slides on. did without the bell thingy the author touts.

mark tomlinson likes this.