1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Clogged somewhere

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by m4r1n5, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

On advice I started this thread (accidently hijakt another thread). I seem to have a clog in my hotend. I started a print and out only put down one layer before filament stopped extruding. I can see the stepper motor spinning consistently but the filament wasn't coming out.

I cleaned the hob, oiled the bearing and made sure there was no obstruction going to the hot end. I Ray inserted filament and now the filament comes out, but really skinny and pauses after a certain amount of Extrusion period you can still see the stepper motor spinning but nothing comes out, then it extrudes for possibly another 10 millimeters before it pauses again.

I just ordered a new nozzle and hopefully that's the problem. but if I am needing to buy another hot end I was looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G...rds=e3d+v6&dpPl=1&dpID=51RjdhBmZVL&ref=plSrch

It's a cheap version but wanted to see if it would work with the robo

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

See thread on this type of behavior:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...hotend-jam-clogs-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/

Worst case you pull the nozzle and clean it (just the nozzle, not the entire hotend).

If you DO want to replace the hotend do NOT use the cheap E3D clones/knockoffs. Either just swap in another Hexagon from robo (at about double that cost) or get an actual E3D (even more expensive, but a great hotend).

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Which printer model do you have?
    Your link goes to a J-Head and the current R1 Plus uses a Hexagon.

What material are you using? PLA, ABS, etc.
    If the hotend is getting hot then it may be just the nozzle that needs to be replaced or cleaned out.

I consider nozzles to be consumable items and over the past year I have tossed 2.

If using PLA, it is recommended by community members to use an oiler. Since adding one I have not gotten a clog or jam.

4. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I'm using the R1+ with hexagon. I'm sticking with abs because I have almost no issues with bed adhesion as opposed to pla. Robo is ALWAYS out of stock on the hexagon. I will look at the e3d v6 but the price right now is higher than I'm able to buy in the immediate future. I might just purchase the knock off as an immediate fix until I can get the actual one. That's IF it's not the nozzle.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you swap the hex for an E3D knockoff I fear you are just swapping one headache for another.
    You may get good results or you may be worse off.

Rigmarol likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I think its jammed in the extruder and nozzle. I'm getting en extruder cleaner tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

All melted and cleaned. Up and running with fire, a nail, and .3 wire. Spent 20$ on nozzles and nozzle cleaner unnecessarily. Dangit

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Extra nozzles are never unnecessary. Always good to have.

I don't use cleaner, but do use a small stand of nylon filament and use the "Atomic Pull" method of cleaning out the little bits that get attached to the inside of the nozzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.