1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Clogging during prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Scott Cargill, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Scott Cargill

Scott Cargill New Member

This is getting out of hand, I fire off a print job, and about 4 hours into the print I find the extruder has clogged up with the printer of course driving right along without anything coming out...

It's seems to be consistent IMG_0003.JPG , I'll clear out the clog, and run it again about the same time / place it clogs up again.

This last time i was manually oiling it every half hour or so, (oiled a foot of filament at a time) and Blew air on the stepper motor to help cool it down a bit.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the fan on the hotend running full speed?
    (not the one that blows on the print, the one that cools the hotend)

Geof likes this.
  3. Scott Cargill

Scott Cargill New Member

Yes, the small fan appears to be running fine, the large fan is having issues keeping up though.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The large fan is not relevant to the clogging.
    It is slicer controlled and not going to affect the hotend. It may well affect the print quality :)

If the small fan is not working correctly with the compact style hotends (like hexagon and E3D) your will absolutely get a print fail due to heat creep. The filament will get soft before the heat break and clog.

5. Scott Cargill

Scott Cargill New Member

Thats what I was thinking, well not so specifically but I was thinking it has something to do with process temps.

I've swapped to an older Extruder, re-arranged the wiring, cleared the clog, etc. both fans are working full speed and correctly. I'm running the same print through Simply3d vs the matter control that I tried yesterday. here's hoping!

This is by far the largest and longest printed object I've attempted, and of course it's one I designed from the ground up and reallllly did / do what it printed for use.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Scott Cargill

Scott Cargill New Member

IMG_0007.JPG

Welp that didn't work either.

this time it stopped laying plastic before the first pass was complete. both fans were running, this time its a jam, / clog I'll have to run a heated element down the heat sink to free it up.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, these folks were have a fairly long thread on this with a hexagon and the bottom line is that the fan was insufficient:

https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3128&start=20

Not sure what else to suggest except trying a different fan. Heat creep is a real beast since it doesn't happen immediately and often takes many hours to manifest.