1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Colorfab PLA Jamming

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Savan12986, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I got a roll of Colorfab PLA/PHA in Blue Grey. I've been having problems with it jamming. It prints fine and then all of a sudden it just stops. Usually about a half hour into the print. When I clear the jam, the filament is buckled inside the ptfe tube and the hobbed bolt has chewed up the end. I suspect the jams are due to heatsoak, but I could be wrong. I'm printing at 185*C which is about as low as I can print with this and get good layer adhesion.

Here is a picture of the print and the filament after clearing the jam
    20140714_143450.jpg

Any ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hotter printing does not help? If you go for 190 or 195 you still get jams?
    Granted hotter might get a little more stringy...
    They layers you do have down look pretty good.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

All my Colorfab has been printed at 215C with no adhesion issues. No jamming with an E3D V5 hot end. 185C seems too low. My spool labels suggest 210 to 215C. Have they changed this on recent spools?

#3 SteveC, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not tried the Colorfab PLA, regulkar PLA is a non-issue for me at 195.

I know the Colorfabb XT wants to print hot-n-slow (but looks damn fine when done that way) it is best at 240-ish.

For sure if the label suggest hotter, go hotter :)

5. Kadows

Kadows Member

Yeah, 185 sounds super low. I've been using one spool of Colorfabb at 195, but I just went up to 200. Never had a jam, not with original or with my E3Dv6.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That filament is on a clear spool, right? You can probably turn temp up 15 degrees or more, especially if you have a hexagon or E3D.

colorFabb actually changed the PLA used in the PLA/PHA at the beginning of the year. This was at the same time as they made the switch over to the clear spools. The original formula was great stuff as long as you got temp dialed in perfectly. This generally mean printing about 10 degrees over lowest temp you could print at. Too hot and you would tend to be stringy. Too cold and it would underextrude.

With the new formulation, it is a lot less sensitive to temperature, but does tend to run a little warmer. The labeled temps are also a little smarter than they used to be. colorFabb now has a whole fleet of different printers that they try out filaments on. Historically, it was primarily an Ultimaker.

7. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I'm still on the stock J-Head. Yes it is on a clear spool. I did some test prints ranging from 175 to 210, and above 185 it starts to string, at 200 it's a nightmare of angel hairs. I'll give it a shot at 190 and see what happens

8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

You might want to do a little calibrating at the warmer temp and play around with retraction settings a little, primarily increasing retraction speed should help.

Here is some info from the RepRap Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide, which is very highly regarded:
    Nozzle Temperature
    Each type of plastic, and each colourant for each type of plastic alters the ideal printing temperature. E.g., I can print opaque PLA at 165°C with fantastic results, but my translucent PLA prefers 180°C!

Every machine will have different numbers due to differences in thermistor, and how close to barrel temperature your thermistor is actually sensing.

Here's how I find my optimum temperature for each roll of filament that I have:

1. Choose a fairly simple model that's large enough that you can clearly see the infill while it's printing
    2. Make sure your hobbed bolt's teeth are clean of debris such as chunks of plastic
    3. Make sure your idler is tight! really tight! "it hurts my fingers to pull on it and I still can't move it" tight! A too-loose idler gives exactly the same symptoms as too low temperature.
    4. Start printing
    5. Lower temperature by 5° every 2-3 layers
    6. When infill starts being a row of dots instead of a line, increase temperature by 10°.
    7. Keep monitoring print, increase by 5° if your infill goes dotty again If you find that your prints are weak along the layer lines or even delaminate mid-print, you may need to go higher again. With ABS, wrapping your printer in a towel helps a LOT by keeping out draughts and breezes- but beware any PLA parts caught within!
    8. Store or remember that temperature for that type of filament

3 people like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

one other thing, check to make sure you don't have a build up of plastic on your nozzle tip and that you are not overextruding (which will end up with a build up on your nozzle tip). This will also cause angel hairs all around the part, albeit extremely easy to remove hairs.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Me too. This is a great description of the process.

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

The stock hotend could also be a contributor. My opinion is that an E3D or Hexagon is a must.

12. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

It's working at 190. Not sure if its really the temp being the issue, or just simple day to day variance. Seems like some days it just doesnt want to work. Hopefully it is the temp since thats something I can control.

I did do temp testing, not the method described above, but printing a test object designed to be broken and see what hold together the best. 185 held together the best and had no strings, so it seems weird that it would be jamming at its optimal temp, but work fine 5* higher.

I do want to upgrade to an E3D, but since this is a business unit I have to convince my boss that we need it. And a bowden setup, and another e3d for dual material, and the linear bed upgrade, and metric rods, and the auto level kit, and a pony, and...

#12 Savan12986, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Not at all if the temp is too cool when being printed the extruder has too hard of a time extruding it but as the temp raises the filament becomes more molten and easier to extrude so hotter will be easier to a point.

The hotter you print at the more oozing and retraction become more of an issue so it becomes a delicate balance of the right temp and the right settings

14. Kadows

Kadows Member

I have to ask, is dotty filament a sign of low temperature? I have recently started experimenting with Ninjaflex and yesterday I got my first semi-successful print. I do however have a lot of dotty lines. Should I raise the temperature?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With NinjaFlex you have to set the movement speeds really slow (it extrudes slowly).
    You can try going higher, but if speed is the issue that won't help (so you may need to play with both, like I said NinjaFlex is wierd).

2 people like this.
  16. Kadows

Kadows Member

Yeah, I know. I used your trick with a tube from a pencil. Works great, feed is good. I started really slow at like 8/mm and I'm now at 15/mm with no problem. Will see how fast I can get it.

I just didn't know that dots meant temperature. I tough it meant I was going to fast. I just went up to 230 and the Ninjaflex looks great now!

2 people like this.
  17. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Time/speed and temp are very closely related. You typically need to increase temp with speed. So, the dots actually means you're going too fast for the temperature that you're at.

18. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

@Savan12986, I too am on the upgrade journey. The best thing you could do is upgrade to an E3D or Hexagon, amazing difference.

And I think the pony goes in the big extruder gear, like a hamster wheel.

2 people like this.