1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Compressed, compacted, smashed prints in the Z-axies

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bigwookiee, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

If you have a new robo 3d r1 from the factory that was purchased in December, 2014 or later, your robo shipped with an enclosed base hiding all the components, your axis rods are 8M (8mm), and you are getting compressed/compacted/smashed prints in the Z-axis. You should re-flash your firmware. Down load the drivers from the robo wiki.

Also read @Ziggy thread for a few extra pointers about Z-axis issues.

They don't mark the 8mm version of r1 from the older style and there are 3 firmwares out there (kickstart/R1/8mm R1). If you have the wrong firmware all you prints will be off in the z axis. I am think that they must have had some pre-flashed arduino boards laying around that they build printers with and forgot to re-flash them.

After flashing the wright firmware my 25 mm test cube was almost perfected. My question is can I get it even closer to 25 mmx 25 mmx 25 mm? Its to small at the top of the print in the x-y axis by ~.03-.05 mm, at the bottom ~.40-.50 mm, and in z axis it is to tall by ~.50 mm.

I have a few photos for your enjoyment. Test_object_25mm_cube_1.jpg Test_object_25mm_cube_2.jpg Test_object_compressed.jpg Test_objects_side-by_side.jpg

2 people like this.
  2. Quest

Quest Member

Hi,
    So what would be the recommended firmware for a printer that shipped on December 2nd that has the enclosed base, but it has 7.94 mm x and y rods?
    Thanks

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

X & Y rods?

X & Y are a belt drive. Z is rods.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Measuring the thread pitch is the safest option.

There's 2 ways, measure the distance between two threads. 1.25mm is M8 rods, and 1.4111 is 5/16" rods. Though it can often be easier to count out 10 rods and measure that distance.

The alternative method is to use a ruler and count the number of threads in 1". 18 is 5/16 and ~21 is M8

5. Quest

Quest Member

I have the 8mm threaded rods, but I guess wondering if theirs any difference with having the 5/16 (7.94mm) smooth rods on the x & z.
    The y has 8mm rods.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The smooth rods (again, only for the Z) are there to stabilize the carriage as it moves up/down. They do not affect the moving up and down. Only the threaded rods move the Z up and down.

2 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nope. That won't be affected by the firmware at all

2 people like this.
  8. bigwookiee

bigwookiee New Member

If you are getting compressed prints like me. I would go to the one labled: Auto_Level_7_17_8mm.zip. If your prints get stretched out just re-flash to Auto_Level_7_17.zip. At most you lose some time and filament printing test objects.

From my very short examination of the code, the only change is the z-axis steeps from ~=2236.2 to 2560. You could just set that in Mattercontrol if you don't want the headache of comping and flashing the arduino that drives the hole system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.