1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Cooling fan attached to bottom cover

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bill, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill New Member

I removed the bottom cover of the printer and in doing so I inadvertently disconnected the cable of the cooling fan that is attached to the cover. Does anyone know where the plug needs to be reconnected?

2. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

the wires going to the left off the picture connect to the fan

Attached Files:

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

By left, I assume you mean bottom right in this case (the one adjacent to the yellow... capacitors?)

Anyway, I had the exact same issue recently and was going to post the same question. I plugged it back into that spot that I just described. Not sure if it's working or not. (I do know that my prints are failing, but has nothing to do with the board/case fan)

4. Bill

Bill New Member

Hey Thanks guys! I plugged the fan into that spot and then turned the power on and the fan worked! I do have a second question though. The reason I had the cover off was to see if I could find the reason the print head will not respond in the -Z direction. I thought I might find something that was interfering with the drive but can't see any problem. It works fine in the +Z direction (going away from the print bed) but will come any closer to the print bed (-Z direction). The print head is approx. 8" above the bed (almost maxed out in the +Z direction.) Any ideas on what could cause this problem? Thanks again for your help!

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like a miswired or broken limit switch.
    If that switch is always 'on' then it thinks it is already at the -Z limit.

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Hmm, haven't run into that issue. Sometimes I've had a problem where it seems to lock or lose ability to manual-control from those MatterControl buttons at all. It starts working when I Disconnect and then Connect the printer again (using the interface, not physically)

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are your Z endstops positioned correctly?
    http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Guide/Homing+Your+Extruder/7

8. Bill

Bill New Member

Good News! I got the issue resolved but I'm not sure exactly how I did it. I took Mark's idea of the limit switches and made sure that they were functioning correctly. I then when into Matter Control and unlocked all the axes. Then printer then homed itself (I think) and the print head now moves in all directions. I really appreciate everyone's help in resolving this situation. Thanks to all!!

2 people like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The Z only moving up but not down isn't necessarily a Z limit switch problem. This is a design safety feature to stop the extruder crashing into the bed.

You have to home X and Y before the extruder will move down. And the X and Y homing times out as well in about 60 seconds, so you may have to do it again before trying to move the extruder down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.