1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Could use some help troubleshooting ripples in layers.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bob64, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob64

Bob64 Member

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  3. Bob64

Bob64 Member

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7357/11731754703_25eb4f3592_b.jpg
    Heres a top down view. The top part is shaped like a pyramid.

Also, after taking off the bed and checking for a this random nut that fell off somewhere (which I've yet to find out where it goes), I noticed that the bed rails, seem to have some moderate play along the Z axis near the middle of the slide. Anyone else notice anything similar?

4. Matthias

Matthias Member

I'd rather think that this is somewhat normal and account to the imperial threaded z-rods. After I changed to metric, those were mostly gone.

5. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Try one of the alternate layer height suggestions Coby gave me, to account for the imperial threaded z-rods: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/topsys-printer.1038/page-2#post-10864

Also double-check that your build plate isn't sliding at all, and that the X belt is tightened properly. Any one (or combination) of those three can cause that banding. Probably other things too but those have all caused banding for me.

6. Bob64

Bob64 Member

No dice. The layer heights didn't make a difference.

Also of note. The left Z threaded rod has significant wobble in it... I'm going to try and un-bend the rod to make it straighter.

7. da9l

da9l Member

8. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

The X belt is actually easy to do fine adjustment to, rather than notches, which seems to make a difference in print quality/banding.. If you look at how it attaches to the carriage, on the right side, it's attached via zip tie. Snip this zip tie, make sure everything's seated properly on the little toothed wheels that hold the belt, and replace the zip tie with a new one. Zip it until the belt makes a little "twang" noise (don't over-tighten, though), trim it fairly close but with enough of a stub you can grab it with pliers if you need to tighten it more, and try printing a calibration item.

9. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Something I've noticed is that if I have the fan on, the banding is much more pronounced with the fan on vs without the fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.