1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Crappy Print Quality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Kagan, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If non-touching loops are what you get with Slic3r that is a symptom of some problem that you probably need to figure out. Does everyone else agree with this? Either your slicer is generating strange code or there is something wrong with your X/Y axes. Looks like with right X side gap is bigger than the left.

I have not used MatterControl but if it has a gcode preview it should show the skirt. You can load the gcode into Repetier or one of the other gcode previewers out there. I think there are some on-line ones as well. Here:
    http://www.3dgeni.us/g-code-visualizer/
    If you specify 3 or 4 loops does it do the same thing? Are your prints dimensionally correct in the X/Y, does a square print to within a few tenths of a mm?

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I agree that there appears to be a problem. The loops should join together, the same as your object perimeters. For me Repetier shows the loops touching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

At a minimum you should start to learn slic3r w/Repetier. There is better software out there, but for the free ones that is a great combination and gives you a lot of tune-ability. I still say bring down the temps first and see what you get.

4. Jonathan Kagan

Jonathan Kagan New Member

Bringing down the temps helped a lot. I am thinking there may be a problem with the temperature sensor in the extruder. I have it set to print at 181 now, which I understand is very low, but the quality is getting better (although there is still a bit of stringing).

The prints generally seem fine in the X-Y dimensions. I just got my new filament, so I will start taking some detailed measurements and see what I get. The loops have never touched, though--they are separated by about 1-2mm, but I can eyeball it to know that the prints are not off by anywhere near that.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.