1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Crappy Print Quality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Kagan, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Kagan

Jonathan Kagan New Member

I recently got my printer and have been working through a number of hardware issues. Most of them are now resolved, except the heater on my glass still does not work (I am waiting on parts from Robo 3d). So I am printing with PLA using a bed temp of zero. I have been getting very poor quality prints, though. I contacted tech support and they suggested using an extruder temp of 200 and extruder multiplier to 1.1. I made both those adjustments but am still getting really bad prints - lots of stringing and my top layers have holes in them.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Your brim doesn't look right. The 2 loops should be touching to form a single piece. The gap between the 2 loops also varies, have you leveled your bed and checked/tightened all screws and bolts (and I mean all). Things move and loosen during shipping/transport. Getting your first layer perfect is 90% of getting a good print.

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

stringing with ABS/PLA is (almost always) filament too hot.
    Sounds (and looks) like a bit of under-extrusion as well. Dial down the temps, dial up the extrusion % (how varies by what software you print with).

Stick with small calibration models until you have this sorted. Once you get it fine tuned you are going to be rocking :)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

99% ;)

3 people like this.
  5. Jonathan Kagan

Thanks Mark and Galaxius.

I had leveled the bed, but the printer has been auto-leveling before each print. I am not sure if that impacts things.

I will try a lower print temp - tech support had told me to bump it to 200, but I will dial it back. I already have extrusion at 110%, but I will increase that too.

I am using MatterControl to print.

I'll post results when I make the changes.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The starting filament seems to be finicky as well. Using a different kind might be helpful

7. Jonathan Kagan

Mike - I am using the PLA RoBo 3d shipped with the printer. I can't use ABS because my bed heater is not working. Do you think I should try a non-RoBo 3d PLA?

Many thanks.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah it's probably a good idea to pick some up. I've just seen that blotchy-ness on a lot of people first prints and don't really understand why. Trying a different filament will help understand what the issue is

9. Jonathan Kagan

Thanks Mike.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

+1 (well, I would have said it is IMPERITIVE to pick something else up, but c'est la vie)

11. Jonathan Kagan

Got the message! I ordered some new PLA today, so it will probably show up in the next few days.

I dropped my extruder temp back to 185 and it seems like there is no problem. Very smooth finishes on solid, vertical surfaces compared with the higher temps.

I noticed the auto cooling (fan) option was not set, so I turned that on as well.

Hopefully, things will go better once the new filament arrives. Thanks for all your help.

12. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I bought some PLA from a company called Mixshop.

My prints look really nice. All it said on the package was GS PLA.

But I do believe you need to experiment with different filaments to find what's best.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Kirk

Kirk Member

Peter did those need any supports to print? If not what software are you using and settings? If you don't mind?

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

14. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I used Repetier. I used 0.2046 layer height.

No supports. I followed the early video in setting up Repetier on the robo3d youtube channel. Using the stock settings except for the layer height.

I was using matter control also, same settings.

For some reason, matter control, after updating to the recent, my prints start printing in the air. Can't seem to figure out why. In fact my z axis switch isn't even being touch by the screw. Something went wrong with the latest update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  15. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Try printing with CURA.
    Not many settings to tweak but it will actually be very beneficial to you. You will learn what how basic settings effect your print.
    I always recommend CURA to starters. Repetier is little too much advanced for beginers.
    Just a thought.

16. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I agree that the skirt loops (not brim) in the first photo look really strange. They should be touching. Something is not right at all. Does it always do this? Does this show up on the screen in the gcode preview?

17. Galaxius

Next version of Repetier is meant to support the Cura slicer too.

18. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Repetier with cura slicer is like putting steering wheel on a motorcycle. Its cura that needs to support slic3r, not the other way around. Cura simplicity will make it work.

19. Galaxius

I get great results with Repetier + Slic3r. There's things with the Cura interface i like but overall I prefer Repetier, though I must admit I didn't spend a great deal of time with Cura. I guess it may be because Repetier is what I started with and have gotten use to having so many options to tweak. Currently I'm trying to get the finish quality of Simplify3D as good as I get with Repetier+Slic3r. At the end of the day I don't think there's any one perfect complete slicing package, they all have their own oddities, it's just finding the one that works the best for you. A perfect one stop shop would be nice, I was hoping it was S3D but sadly I don't think it's quite there, almost.

20. Jonathan Kagan

Steve,

The skirt always looks like that (2 non-touching loops).

I am using MatterControl with Slic3r, and it is set to make 2 loops of 1 later each. I don't know how to check this on the gcode preview - when I view objects in MatterControl it does not show the skirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.