1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Crazy wobble!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kadows, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadows

Kadows Member

Hi,

I have now had my printer for a couple of days and I can't really figure this out. Most things are working well. I have printed a spool holder, I installed the XXL controller and I printed some Z-axis stabilizers. I don't have any problem getting the print to stick, hair spray do the trick. I have printed all kinds of stuff, long things, small things and round things. Only once did something warp from the bed.

I do, however, have crazy wobble problems. It's so bad that at this moment I don't really have any use for the printer. I need this to be sorted out.

I'm a total beginner at this and only have very basic technical knowledge, but I do think I know where some of the problem is. My threaded rods moves A LOT. They move so much that they still move the smooth rods even though I have the stabilizers. Sometimes it wobbles so much that everything gets stuck. They don't look straight at all. I took a video of it:

At the end of the video you can see another weird thing. My power button stopped working. When I try to turn the printer off it just springs back! I have to unplug it to turn it off.

Here are some prints. I use Cura, 195C, 35mm/s. The unfinished one is 0.1 layerhight, the middle is 0.2 and the last is 0.2046. Not much different to the waves. I tried MatterControl but it just makes a horrible mess of everything. I also tried different speed and temperatures but this turned out the best.

[​IMG]

I would love to hear any tips! Thanks!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your threaded rods don't seem centered in the groove. They seem to move in an oblong circle.

3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

They also sound like they need a little lubrication.

4. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Definitely need some white lithium grease or other lube for the threaded rods to calm the squeal. (found at hardware stores or auto parts stores)
    I have not been able to get a good balance with the stabilizers in place. For starting out I would say leave em off. They are mostly for when you need to print really high and the jerking is intensified, like closer to max height. for prints under 4-5 inches or so, I would debate that they are less important.

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Also, try printing some of the bottom smooth rod z stabilizers from tesseract. I'm not sure what r3d is sending out now, but mine were both teeny and broken. My threaded rods move around quite a bit as well, but I'm getting very good results despite this. Here is the .stl for the z stabilizers:

Attached Files:

6. Kadows

Kadows Member

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Today I went straight for the store and got some white litium grease. Worked great and my printer sounds great!
    When I was at it I decide to pick up a metric rod and nuts too. Makes sense since I'm Swedish! Changing out the rods felt like big job considering my experience with this stuff, but what did I have to lose?

Changing the rods went well and the waviness went down a little bit. After that I flashed the software and panic struck! My printer didn't work at all! After some reachers on the forums it turned out I used the wrong version! It wasn't adapted for my newer model with auto bed compensation (did I use the right term? :D) and after flashing with the right one we were back on track. A couple of calibration cubes and changes to the code I am now at a result I'm very happy with! All the axis are within 0.5mm. I will try to get it even better another day.

Here is before and after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks amazing to me!
    Only problem is my power button who still springs back when I try to turn it off. Tomorrow I will turn the printer up side down to see if I see anything out of order. Anyone have any idea of what can be causing it?

Again, thanks for all the help! Without this forum I would be lost!
    Fredrik

3 people like this.
  7. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!! Really glad for ya! Nice lookin' cube.

8. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

The power switch has a spring inside on the rocker arm. More than likely it's popped off.
    You should be able to remove the switch from the power/fuse block. Not sure if it's sealed or if it comes apart.
    The Robo guys should be able to mail you a replacement. It's a quick enough swap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.